Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - North Korea ‘shot dead’ man from South in its waters




North Korea ‘shot dead’ man from South in its waters

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The man had disappeared off a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong. AFP

North Korea ‘shot dead’ man from South in its waters

North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector after interrogating him at sea, then poured oil over his body and burned it over coronavirus fears, Seoul military officials said on Thursday.

The man had disappeared off a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong, the South Korean Ministry of National Defence said in a statement.

He was wearing a lifejacket, a military official said, adding that “circumstances tell us that there was an intent to defect”, without providing evidence.

According to the South’s Yonhap News Agency, the man was located by North Korean forces and questioned from a boat by an official wearing protective equipment.

“He was shot dead in the water,” the military official said. “North Korean soldiers poured oil over his body and burnt it in the water.”

The burning appears to have been intended as a precaution against the coronavirus, in response to which Pyongyang has closed its borders and declared an emergency.

The military official said: “We assess it was carried out under the North’s anti-coronavirus measure.”

The killing took place after an “order from superior authority”, Yonhap cited South Korean officials as saying.

Seoul’s defence ministry condemned the shooting as an “outrageous act”.

It said: “We sternly warn North Korea that all responsibilities for this incident lie with it.”

In July, a North Korean defector who had fled to the South three years ago sneaked back over the heavily fortified border into the impoverished nation.

His crossing prompted North Korean officials to put the border city of Kaesong under lockdown amid fears that he may have carried the coronavirus.

US Forces Korea commander Robert Abrams said earlier this month that North Korean authorities had issued shoot-to-kill orders to prevent the coronavirus entering the country from China, creating a “buffer zone” at the border.

The isolated North – whose crumbling health system would struggle to cope with a major virus outbreak – has not confirmed a single case of the disease that has swept the world since first emerging in China, the North’s key ally.

Pyongyang closed its border with China in January to prevent contamination, and in July State media said it had raised its state of emergency to the maximum level.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained