Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oil spills blot more than 130 Brazilian beaches




Oil spills blot more than 130 Brazilian beaches

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said that the mysterious oil stains that appeared on 132 beaches in northeastern Brazil have their origin in another country. AFP/ADEMAS

Oil spills blot more than 130 Brazilian beaches

The source of large blots of oil staining more than 130 beaches in northeastern Brazil remained a mystery on Tuesday despite Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s assertions they came from outside the country and were possibly the work of criminals.

Tamar, a group dedicated to the protection of sea turtles, said the oil spills were “the worst environmental tragedy” it has encountered since its formation in 1980.

The patches of oil began appearing in early September and have now turned up along a 2,000km stretch of Atlantic coastline.

“We are not in the presence of a constant leak. If it is the result of a shipwrecked oil tanker, the leaks will continue for the moment,” Bolsonaro told a news conference in Brasilia.

“It appears to be criminal. This oil could have been dumped at sea.”

Environment Minister Ricardo Salles, appearing alongside Bolsonaro, said the government’s priority is “to act quickly to remove what is on land and to deepen the investigation to find the origin”.

On Monday, Salles said after visiting the affected areas that more than 100 tonnes of oil have been removed from the beaches in the northeast.

State oil company Petrobras, which is taking part in the cleanup, said analysis determined that the oil was neither produced nor marketed by the company.

The patches of oil have been detected in all nine states of northeastern Brazil, a poor region known for the beauty of its beaches and whose economy depends on tourism.

“The coastal ecosystem of northeastern Brazil is very fragile, with mangroves, rocky coves and coral reefs,” Maria Christina Araujo, an oceanographer at Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, said.

“In the mangrove, an environment with exceptional biodiversity, it is virtually impossible to remove oil. The damage could be irreparable and the ecosystems will take years to recover.”

She also warned that the spills could harm the region’s economy.

“We can already see that tourists no longer want to go to the beaches,” Araujo said.

On Saturday, Bolsonaro ordered a swift investigation to “establish the causes and determine the responsibilities” for the spilt oil. The federal police announced last week that they were investigating the spills as an “environmental crime”.

On Monday evening, Bolsonaro said Brazilian authorities had identified a country that the oil could have come from, but he did not name it. Citing a confidential report, the daily Folha de Sao Paulo revealed that analysis by Petrobras showed the oil could have come from Venezuela.

But Bolsonaro refrained from singling out Brazil’s South American neighbour.

Bolsonaro has been a vocal critic of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, and relations between the two countries are strained.

Bolsonaro has also lashed out at international critics who blamed him for massive forest fires in the Amazon basin in August and a broader failure to protect the world’s largest tropical forest.

Regardless of the source of oil pollution, the government did not respond to the situation until last week.

“The government took too much time in reacting,” said biologist Mario Moscatelli, who said coastal ecosystems – the beaches, mangroves and coral reefs – are particularly vulnerable to oil spills.

“It’s fundamental that those responsible be identified and that they pay for the damage, environmental as well as economic.

“Without a firm reaction, this kind of episode could happen again,” he warned.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,