Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oil tankers evacuated after fresh incident in Gulf of Oman




Oil tankers evacuated after fresh incident in Gulf of Oman

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two oil tankers were hit in suspected attacks in the Gulf of Oman and the crews have been evacuated, according to sources on Jun 13, 2019. AFP

Oil tankers evacuated after fresh incident in Gulf of Oman

The crews of two oil tankers were evacuated on Thursday after sending out distress calls following a new incident in the Gulf of Oman that sent world oil prices soaring.

The incident, the second involving shipping in the strategic sea lane in only a few weeks, came amid spiralling tensions between Tehran and Washington, which has pointed the finger at Iran over a first incident in May.

Iran said two oil tankers had been involved on Thursday in an “accident” and its navy had rescued 44 crew.

The US Fifth Fleet said: “We are aware of the reported attack on tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

“US naval forces in the region received two separate distress calls at 6:12am local time and a second one at 7am,” the statement said.

Oil prices spiked after a merchant shipping information service run by Britain’s Royal Navy reported an “incident” in the Gulf of Oman.

“UK and its partners are currently investigating,” United Kingdom Marine Trade Operations (UKMTO) said on its website, without giving further details.

The Gulf of Oman lies at the other end of the strategic Strait of Hormuz from the Gulf, part of a vital shipping lane through which at least 15 million barrels of crude oil and hundreds of millions of dollars of non-oil imports pass.

S&P-Platts news agency cited multiple shipping sources in Asia as saying one of the tankers, the Front Altair, built in 2016 and flagged in the Marshall Islands, caught fire near the Gulf of Oman, prompting the evacuation of its crew.

It said that brokers, chartering sources and a shipping agent confirmed that at least two tankers had been damaged.

On May 12, four oil tankers – two Saudi, one Norwegian and one Emirati – were damaged in still unexplained attacks in the Gulf of Oman off the United Arab Emirates.

The US said Iranian naval mines were “almost certainly” behind the attack.

The UAE said last week that initial findings of a five-nation investigation delivered to the UN pointed to the likelihood that a state was behind the bombings, but added there was no evidence yet that Iran was involved.

Thursday’s incident came after Iran-aligned Huthi rebels on Wednesday said they had fired a missile at a Saudi airport. Saudi officials said 26 people were wounded in the attack on Ahba airport.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –