Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Philippine gov’t urged to put Manila back under lockdown




Philippine gov’t urged to put Manila back under lockdown

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The medical groups in their letter to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte called for a ‘comprehensive, extensive plan’ to contain the outbreak and for the health department to take the lead. AFP

Philippine gov’t urged to put Manila back under lockdown

Warning that the country’s healthcare system is on the brink of collapse, dozens of Philippine doctors’ and nurses’ groups urged the government on Saturday to put Metropolitan Manila and the surrounding towns back on lockdown for at least two weeks.

“The health sector cannot hold the line for much longer,” they said in a letter to President Rodrigo Duterte that was signed by the heads of some 40 medical societies.

They said: “Our healthcare system has been overwhelmed.

We are waging a losing battle against Covid-19 and we need to draw up a consolidated, definitive plan of action.”

The groups called for a “timeout” from August 1-15, so that the government and the health sector could draw up a better plan to deal with the coronavirus crisis.

Current plans were not working, they insisted, citing a surge of over 50,000 infections last month alone.

The Department of Health reported 4,963 new cases on Saturday, in what was the country’s largest single-day increase of new coronavirus cases on record.

More than half of the cases came from the National Capital Region (NCR) and Calabarzon, a neighbouring region designated as IV-A.

Saturday’s tally brought the country’s caseload to 98,232.

Over 50,000 cases were recorded last month alone when many of the sweeping shelter-at-home restrictions in place since May were eased to restart a stalled economy.

Despite the surge, Duterte has decided to stay the course until mid-August.

On Wednesday, a task force coordinating efforts to roll back the outbreak allowed gyms, internet cafes, tutorial and review centres, pet clinics and drive-in cinemas to reopen.

Movement restrictions for children and the elderly remain but the business operations – from restaurants to gyms – can proceed, albeit in a more limited way.

The Ospital ng Maynila, one of the largest public hospitals in the capital, told ABS-CBN News that it had been seeing “four to six DoAs [dead on arrivals]” each day, as the number of patients desperate to be admitted surged in the last two weeks last month.

Most of those arriving dead had already been shuttled from one hospital to another and had been turned away, Dr Karen Kaye Uy, the hospital’s chief resident for internal medicine, told the network.

Dr Karl Laqui, the hospital’s officer in charge, said nearly a dozen of the hospital’s own staff, many of whom had no contact with infected patients, were now down with Covid-19.

He told ABS-CBN: “We have people in surgery, billing, engineering.

It’s not coming from the patients anymore.

The infection is spreading from personnel to personnel, which is scary.”

The medical groups said in their letter to Duterte many health professionals were resigning “because of fear, fatigue, and poor working conditions”.

“Facilities have had to close because of these problems,” they said.

They called for a “comprehensive, extensive plan” to contain the outbreak and for the health department to take the lead.

A task force overseeing efforts to slow the spread of Covid-19 is being led by a former military general.

They noted the poor implementation of case finding and isolation strategies, failure of the health department to conduct proper contact tracing, lack of transport and work safety procedures, and poor public compliance with health safety measures.

“Contact tracing is failing miserably,” they said, pointing out that while guidelines exist, “compliance [by local government officials] is optional.

“The progressive lifting of quarantine has inadvertently fuelled public misconception that the pandemic is getting better.

It is not,” they added.

Duterte’s spokesman Harry Roque said in response that “the strict lockdown in Metro Manila has served its purpose and we need to intensify other strategies.

“Community quarantine alone, we repeat, is an insufficient response in controlling Covid-19,” he said, adding that the government was hiring more health care workers to scale up hospital capacity.

This call from health professionals came just a day after Duterte promised a vaccine by December, saying he was confident the situation would be back to normal by then.

THE STRAITS TIMES/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped