Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Philippines cannot forever rely on the US’




‘Philippines cannot forever rely on the US’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo on Thursday said the Philippines cannot forever rely on the protection of the US. PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER

‘Philippines cannot forever rely on the US’

The Philippines cannot forever rely on the protection of the US, the Malacanang Presidential Palace said on Thursday as it again defended the country’s move to terminate a key military agreement with the global superpower.

Upon President Rodrigo Duterte’s order, the Department of Foreign Affairs formally sent the notice to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA), a move the US Embassy in Manila described as “a serious step with significant implications for the US-Philippines alliance”.

“As the president says, if we keep on relying on the US for our defence, our defences will always remain stagnant or weak. We have to strengthen our defence.

“We cannot be forever relying on the Americans for our defences,” Duterte’s spokesman Salvador Panelo said in an interview on the ABS-CBN News channel.

The US government has 180 days from the day of receipt to renegotiate the Philippines’ decision to terminate the VFA, a defence pact signed in 1998 that created a legal framework for the presence of US troops in the Philippines and for organising joint military exercises.

On Wednesday, the Palace official also said that the Philippines’ decision to dissolve the military pact is a “move in the right direction” and will stop the country from being a “parasite” to another country in terms of protecting its independence and sovereignty.

This was after US Defence Secretary Mark Esper declared that nullifying the VFA was “unfortunate” and “a move in the wrong direction”.

“From our point of view, however, the decision to terminate the VFA is a move in the right direction that should have been done a long time ago,” Panelo said in a statement.

“We must stand on our own and put a stop to being a parasite to another country in protecting our independence and sovereignty,” he said.

US President Donald Trump has already addressed the issue, saying that he is “fine” with Duterte’s directive and will save the Americans a lot of money.

“If they would like to do that, that’s fine, we’ll save a lot of money,” Trump said.

Meanwhile, Admiral Philip Davidson, the senior US military authority in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region, on Thursday warned that terminating the VFA would hamper counter-terrorism efforts in Duterte’s home island of Mindanao – where separatist and Islamist violence has killed some 100,000 people.

Davidson expressed his hopes that Duterte would reconsider his decision.

Manila has given a “180-day notice, so we have some time for diplomatic efforts. I hope we can get to a successful outcome,” he told a foreign policy think-tank at the Lowy Institute in Sydney.

“Our ability to help the Philippines in their counter-violent extremist fight in the south, our ability to train and operate within the Philippines and with Philippines armed forces would be challenged without that visiting forces agreement,” he said.

Since being elected president in 2016, Duterte has repeatedly alluded to severing ties with the US while pursuing closer ties with the country’s non-traditional allies, Russia and China.

Duterte has ordered the termination of the military pact after the US cancelled the visa of his long-time confidant Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, who has also led his bloody war on drugs during his term as national police chief.

PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,