Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Philippines won’t blacklist China firms



Philippines won’t blacklist China firms

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Philippines will not follow the US lead in blacklisting Chinese companies involved in the construction of artificial islands in the disputed South China Sea. PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER

Philippines won’t blacklist China firms

The Philippines will not follow the US lead in blacklisting Chinese companies involved in the construction of artificial islands in the disputed South China Sea, the president’s spokesman said on Tuesday, arguing that Manila needed Beijing’s investment.

Washington last week announced sanctions against 24 Chinese State-owned companies – including subsidiaries of China Communications Construction Co Ltd, which is involved in a $10 billion airport project in Manila.

The US has been pushing back against Beijing’s military build-up in the South China Sea, where sovereignty is contested by several countries – including the Philippines.

China claims the majority of the area, invoking its so-called “nine-dash line” to justify its alleged historic rights to a key waterway through which trillions of dollars of international trade pass every year.

President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman Harry Roque on Tuesday said Chinese involvement in major Philippine infrastructure projects would go ahead despite Washington’s sanctions – including turning Sangley Point, a US naval station until the early 1970s, into a commercial airport.

“The Sangley project will push through,” Roque told reporters, adding that the Philippines “will not follow the American directive because we are a free and independent State and we need investments coming from China”.

Chinese ambassador to the Philippines Huang Xilian said the US sanctions were aimed at driving “a wedge between China and regional countries”.

He said: “I believe that any attempt to undermine the normal economic cooperation between China and the Philippines will never succeed.”

China has reinforced its claim to the South China Sea by building up small shoals and reefs into military bases with airstrips and port facilities.

It rejected a 2016 UN-backed tribunal’s ruling that its claims were without legal basis.

Sino-Philippine relations have improved under Duterte, who has tried to steer his country away from the ambit of the US – its former colonial master – to pursue greater economic cooperation with its giant neighbour and US rival.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese