Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Putin warns of ‘new arms race’




Putin warns of ‘new arms race’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
US President Donald Trump and Russia’s President Vladimir Putin attend a joint press conference after a meeting at the Presidential Palace in Helsinki, on July 16. AFP

Putin warns of ‘new arms race’

President Vladimir Putin warned on Wednesday of a new arms race if the US pulls out of weapons treaties, and said Russia would respond “in kind” to any new US missiles placed on European soil.

At the weekend, US President Donald Trump sparked concerns globally when he said he would ditch a key Cold War-era nuclear weapons pact, the three-decade-old Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).

Speaking after hosting Trump’s national security advisor John Bolton on Tuesday, Putin warned that abandoning the treaty, and failure to extend another key arms control agreement known as the New Start, would unleash a new arms race and put Europe in danger.

Putin said dismantling a global arms control system was “very dangerous,” adding Russia was concerned about the fact that the US had already abandoned the Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty, planned to ditch the INF, and that the future of the New Start was unclear.

“There would be nothing left except an arms race,” he said at a news conference after talks with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

The Russian president said that if Washington moved to abandon the INF and placed more missiles in Europe, Russia would respond “in kind.”

“Will we be able to respond?” he said. “Yes, we will and this will be very quick and effective.” Putin said any European countries agreeing to host US missiles would be at risk of a Russian attack. “These are obvious things,” he said.

Pershings in Europe

“We will return to the situation with the Pershing missiles in Europe,” he said, referring to US missiles stationed in Western Europe in the 1980s.

Putin accused the US of violating the INF treaty which Trump has said Russia is in breach of.

The Russian president said he wanted to discuss the issue with his US counterpart when they attend a November 11 event in Paris commemorating the centenary of the end of World War I.

“We are ready to work with our American partners without any hysterics,” he added.

Italy’s Conte said his country was also concerned about a possible collapse of the INF agreement, adding he would speak to Trump on the subject.

“I’ve already let President Putin know that I was really young in the era of the Pershing missiles and I would not want to return to the time that we have been able to overcome,” the 54-year-old said in remarks translated into Russian.

“We should focus on other prospects of cooperation and avoid an escalation that could be alarming for us all.”

Trump had said the US was ready to build up its nuclear arsenal because Russia violated the INF agreement.

“Until people come to their senses, we will build it up,” he said Monday, referring to the US’s nuclear stockpile.

Trump’s announcement sparked concern globally, with the European Commission urging the US and Russia to pursue talks to preserve the treaty, and China calling on Washington to “think twice.”

Bolton has said that Britain, Japan, and other countries supported the US position.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Kremlin said it was ready to discuss the possibility of a summit between Putin and Trump in Washington next year.

“Undoubtedly [we are] ready,” Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov told journalists after Bolton reportedly said that such a summit was possible.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said