Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Senegal president urges Germany to stay in Mali



Senegal president urges Germany to stay in Mali

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier (left) is seen at a joint press conference with his Senegalese counterpart Macky Sall on Monday. AFP

Senegal president urges Germany to stay in Mali

Senegalese President Macky Sall on February 21 urged Germany to keep its troops in Mali, amid uncertainty over their future in the fragile Sahel country after France announced a military withdrawal.

The call came at a news conference in Senegal’s capital Dakar with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, who was visiting the West African state.

“Mali cannot be abandoned. You have to maintain your presence in the Sahel. Africa needs it,” Sall said.

Germany has 1,170 soldiers deployed as part of the UN peacekeeping mission in Mali, known as MINUSMA.

The European state has also contributed 328 troops to the EU military training mission (EUTM Mali) in the Sahel country.

But France announced last week that it was pulling thousands of troops from Mali, plunging the future of Germany’s military engagement into doubt.

German Minister of Defence Christine Lambrecht has said she is “sceptical” about continued participation in the EU training mission and has questioned whether Germany should remain committed to MINUSMA without French support.

Sall, who is also the current chair of the African Union, said on February 21 that “we need European forces, MINUSMA, and Germany in Mali”.

Senegal shares a long border with Mali, a vast and ethnically diverse nation of 21 million people.

Steinmeier told the news conference that “Germany should remain present in a form that contributes to the stability of the Sahel”.

But he added that the final decision rested with Germany’s parliament, which is due to decide whether to extend the country’s participation in MINUSMA and EUTM Mali in May.

Later Chad’s junta leader Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno announced on state media that his country would increase its troop numbers in the UN peacekeeping force following France’s withdrawal.

“Mali is the epicentre of terrorism in the Sahel,” said the young lieutenant-general who heads the military junta that took power 10 months ago after the death of his father Idriss Deby Itno.

“With the agreement of the Malian authorities and MINUSMA, we are going to reinforce our forces.”

Mali has been struggling to contain a brutal jihadist insurgency that first emerged in 2012, before spreading to neighbouring Burkina Faso and Niger.

Thousands of soldiers and civilians have been killed and two million people forced to flee their homes by the Sahel-wide conflict, of which Mali remains the epicentre.

France announced a military pullout last week due to a dispute with Mali’s military junta, which seized power in 2020 and has since defied international calls to swiftly restore civil rule.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • Cambodia's poverty cut in half from 2009 to 2019: World Bank report

    A report published by the World Bank on November 28 states that Cambodia’s national poverty rate fell by almost half between 2009 and 2019, but the Covid-19 pandemic recently reversed some of the poverty reduction progress. Cambodia’s poverty rate dropped from 33.8 to 17.8 per cent over the 10