Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - South Africa parliament fire suspect charged with terrorism



South Africa parliament fire suspect charged with terrorism

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Zandile Christmas Mafe (right), a suspect in connection to a fire at the South African Parliament, speaks to Dali Mpofu, who is part of his legal council, at the Magistrate Court in Cape Town on Tuesday. AFP

South Africa parliament fire suspect charged with terrorism

A man suspected of starting a fire that gutted South Africa’s parliament made a second court appearance on January 11 to face a new charge of terrorism, in addition to robbery and arson charges.

Zandile Christmas Mafe, 49, was arrested around the parliament complex in Cape Town after the fire broke out on January 2 and appeared in court three days later.

Magistrate Zamekile Mbalo granted prosecutors a month’s delay to determine Mafe’s mental state and “if he is fit for trial” following a diagnosis that he was schizophrenic.

Mafe was initially charged with breaking into parliament, arson and intention to steal property, including laptops, crockery and documents.

Prosecutors said the additional terrorism charge was introduced after investigators viewed CCTV footage from parliament on January 10.

The new charge said the “accused is guilty” of contravening laws on the “protection of constitutional democracy against terrorist and related activities”, according to a court document.

“The accused did unlawfully and intentionally deliver, place, discharge or detonate an explosive, or other lethal device in . . . parliament building with the purpose . . . of causing extensive damage,” it said, without giving further details.

The blaze broke out before dawn on January 2, spreading to the National Assembly, the roof of which collapsed.

Defence lawyer Dali Mpofu said Mafe underwent mental observation on January 3 and was diagnosed with “paranoid schizophrenia”.

Mpofu is one of South Africa’s most famous lawyers, whose high-profile clients have included former president Jacob Zuma.

He said Mafe was seeking bail.

Mafe has vowed that if “he is not released from custody, as from this moment, he will embark on a hunger strike,” Mpofu said in the small courtroom.

Mpofu said that Mafe, who has been widely described as homeless in local media, “does not understand why the government, which was not able to feed him when he was poor outside and fending for himself, now is so keen to feed him for a further period of time.”

Mpofu said his client believed he was being “victimised and targeted particularly because he is poor”.

Another defence lawyer Luvuyo Godla told reporters they are appearing pro-bono for Mafe.

In contrast to his first court appearance where he was bearded and dressed in a grey shirt with knee-length denim shorts, on January 11 Mafe came in clean shaven in a light blue shirt and a dark jacket.

He turned towards photographers when he entered the court, later repeatedly shaking his head from side-to-side and taking off his mask.

Since his arrest, debate has raged in South Africa over whether Mafe was responsible for setting the building on fire.

Protesters outside the court on January 11 demanded his release, saying he was a scapegoat.

A group of around 30 people picketed outside, brandishing hand-written signs saying “free Mafe,” “he is innocent” and “he is not guilty”.

Surveillance cameras placed Mafe in the building precinct at around 2am (0200 GMT).

“However, security only saw him at 6am, when they looked at the screens after being alerted by the smoke,” Public Works Minister Patricia de Lille told AFP last week.

“Certainly, there was a security breach,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio