Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trump praises Kim over return of war dead amid summit scepticism



Trump praises Kim over return of war dead amid summit scepticism

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
United Nations Honor Guard members carry the remains of US soldiers who were killed in the Korean War, during a dignified return ceremony at Osan Air Base, in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, on Friday. US Department of Defense / Kelsey Tucker/afp

Trump praises Kim over return of war dead amid summit scepticism

Amid scepticism over his rapprochement with Kim Jong Un, US President Donald Trump praised the North Korean leader on Friday for returning remains believed to be those of more than 50 US servicemen.

Trump pointed to the handover of 55 boxes said to hold the remains of US troops killed during the Korean War as evidence that his overtures to the North Korean strongman were bearing fruit.

“I want to thank Chairman Kim for keeping his word,” Trump said during an appearance at the White House after tweeting that it was a “great moment for so many families.”

Trump has hailed his June summit with Kim in Singapore as effectively ending the North Korean nuclear threat.

But it contained only a vague commitment on Pyongyang’s part to work towards the “denuclearization of the Korean peninsula” – a long way from the complete, verifiable and irreversible disarmament demanded by Washington.

With Trump facing criticism that concrete post-summit progress was scant, he welcomed the repatriation of the remains – which came on the 65th anniversary of the end of the war – as evidence that the talks were a success.

“I want to thank Chairman Kim in front of the media for fulfilling a promise that he made to me,” he said.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said the administration was “encouraged by North Korea’s actions and the momentum for positive change.”

More than 35,000 Americans were killed during the 1950-53 war and 7,700 are still listed as missing in action – most of them in North Korea.

A US military C-17 cargo plane carrying the purported remains of the more than 50 US servicemen landed at a US air base in South Korea on Thursday.

A formal repatriation ceremony is to be held in Hawaii on August 1, attended by Vice President Mike Pence. The remains will then be analysed there.

North Korea has previously been accused – most notably by Japan – of faking the remains of foreign citizens and using them as a bargaining chip.

US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Friday described the repatriation as setting a “positive tone for other things, more important things in terms of international diplomacy.

“This humanitarian act, obviously, is a step in the right direction,” Mattis said.

He added that the remains of French and Australian soldiers who fought alongside the Americans could be found in the boxes handed over by Pyongyang.

“You noticed that there was a UN blue flag on each of the boxes,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon.

“We don’t know who’s in those boxes.”

Michael Fuchs, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, said “the return of remains is important, and can be viewed as a potential confidence building measure.”

But Fuchs, a former US deputy assistant secretary for East Asia, added on Twitter that North Korea may be “picking off low hanging fruit to make it seem like they are making concessions in the overall negotiations.”

Fuchs noted reports that Pyongyang has started dismantling a facility seen as a testing ground for intercontinental ballistic missiles – a move welcomed earlier this week by Trump.

“The destruction of the nuke test site was not observed by inspectors, so the details can’t be verified – same goes for the dismantling of the engine test site,” Fuchs said. “And these steps are reversible. And none touch on the core issue – NK nukes.”

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was grilled about North Korea’s sincerity by members of the US Senate during testimony this week.

He acknowledged North Korea was continuing to produce nuclear fissile material but insisted that “progress is happening” and said Trump remains “upbeat about the prospects of North Korean denuclearisation.”

Asked if the goal was for this to be achieved by the end of Trump’s first term in office, Pompeo replied “yes,” and added: “More quickly if possible.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese