Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trump takes Iran drive to the UN




Trump takes Iran drive to the UN

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
US national security advisor John Bolton. ABIR SULTAN/aFP

Trump takes Iran drive to the UN

US President Donald Trump took his campaign to isolate Iran to the UN Security Council Wednesday, accusing Tehran of spreading chaos at a meeting that laid bare divisions between Washington and key allies.

As chairman of a session of the top UN body, Trump denounced the “horrible, one-sided” nuclear deal with Iran that he ditched in May, to the dismay of European allies.

A gavel-wielding Trump vowed that re-imposed sanctions will be “in full force” and urged world powers to work with the United States to “ensure the Iranian regime changes its behaviour and never acquires a nuclear bomb”.

Addressing the council after Trump, French President Emmanuel Macron hit back, declaring that concerns about Iran cannot be reduced to “a policy of sanctions and containment” that was in place for years before the landmark deal.

“We need to build together a long-term strategy to manage the crisis that cannot be reduced to a policy of sanctions and containment of Iran,” said Macron.

The United States has moved to reimpose sanctions that had been lifted under the 2015 deal to curb Iran’s nuclear programme and has vowed to punish foreign firms that do business with Iran.

On North Korea, Trump called for sanctions to be strictly enforced against Pyongyang – a message directed at Russia and China which are pushing for an easing of punitive measures to reward North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Without naming countries, the US president noted that “some nations are already violating UN sanctions” including illegal ship-to-ship transfers of oil and said compliance was “very, very important”.

Trump also accused China of working against his Republican Party in upcoming elections, saying Beijing did “not want me or us to win” because of his hard line on trade.

His toughest words were directed at Iran, however.

“In the years since the deal was signed, Iran’s aggression only increased,” Trump said.

“The regime used new funds from the deal to support terrorism, build nuclear capable missiles and foment chaos.”

Trump assailed Russia and Iran for backing President Bashar al-Assad in his brutal war in Syria, saying: “The Syrian regime’s butchery is enabled by Russia and Iran.”

Wednesday’s meeting highlighted a rift between the United States and its European allies over the Iran nuclear deal.

On Monday, the five remaining parties to the agreement – Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia – defiantly announced that they would set up a special payment system to continue trade and business ties with Iran.

Heading into the council meeting, Sweden’s Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom said European Union governments will “stand up” for the nuclear deal and suggested the US approach would fail.

“We have tried sanctions over the years, decades. We tried isolation and it only gave the most conservative forces in Iran more power,” she told reporters.

During his address to the General Assembly on Tuesday, Trump assailed Iran’s leaders, accusing them of sowing “chaos, death and destruction” and calling on world governments to isolate Tehran.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani shot back in his speech, denouncing leaders who have “xenophobic tendencies resembling a Nazi disposition” and slamming the planned council meeting as a “preposterous and abnormal act”.

Trump’s National Security Advisor John Bolton warned Tehran of “hell to pay” if it threatens the US or its allies.

“Let my message today be clear: we are watching, and we will come after you.”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.