Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UK Prince Charles contracts Covid-19

UK Prince Charles contracts Covid-19

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
British media reported Prince Charles had attended an event with Prince Albert of Monaco (not pictured) on March 10. AFP

UK Prince Charles contracts Covid-19

Prince Charles, the eldest son and heir to Queen Elizabeth II, is showing mild symptoms of the new coronavirus but “otherwise remains in good health”, his office said on Wednesday.

The 71-year-old is self-isolating in Scotland along with his wife Camilla, who was also tested but does not have Covid-19, Clarence House said.

In a separate statement, Buckingham Palace said the queen, 93, was in “good health” and had not seen her son for two weeks.

“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus,” Charles’ office said in a statement.

“He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.

“The Duchess of Cornwall [Camilla] has also been tested but does not have the virus.

“In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.”

The couple were tested by the state-run National Health Service (NHS) in Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland, it said.

“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” it added.

British media reported the prince had attended an event with Prince Albert of Monaco on March 10. An announcement that Prince Albert had tested positive on March 19.

Queen Elizabeth II, 93, and her husband Prince Philip, 98, retired to Windsor Castle, outside London, on March 19.

“Her Majesty the Queen remains in good health,” a spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace said.

“The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of March 12, and is following all the appropriate advice with regards to her welfare.”

The spokeswoman would not say whether the queen had been tested for coronavirus.

The monarch brought forward her Easter break in Windsor by a week because of the outbreak, which has so far killed 422 people in Britain.

There are more than 8,000 confirmed cases across the country, although testing is limited and the true number is believed to be much higher.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has ordered all non-essential shops and services to be closed and said people must stay at home wherever possible, to try to stem the spread of the virus.

Parliament will adjourn a week early on Wednesday, after lawmakers pass emergency legislation giving the government powers to isolate infected people.

In a public statement last week, the queen called on people to work together in the face of the crisis.

“At times such as these, I am reminded that our nation’s history has been forged by people and communities coming together to work as one, concentrating our combined efforts with a focus on the common goal,” she said.

She added: “Many of us will need to find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe.

“I am certain we are up to that challenge. You can be assured that my family and I stand ready to play our part.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 people have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly nearly 200 passengers out of Cambodia. The petition is targeted at 15,000 people. Most of the passengers are British nationals, who are stranded in Cambodia after airlines cancelled

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid

  • State of emergency draft law set for NA

    A draft law aiming to place the Kingdom in a state of emergency amid the Covid-19 pandemic is set for a debate at the National Assembly (NA) after going through the Council of Ministers’ Standing Committee meeting led by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday.