Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UN condemns Malaysia over child brides



UN condemns Malaysia over child brides

UN condemns Malaysia over child brides

THE marriage of a 15-year-old Malaysian girl to a man almost three times her age drew condemnation from the United Nations Wednesday, putting fresh pressure on the Muslim-majority country to halt such unions.

The teenager became the second wife of the 44-year-old in July after an Islamic court gave permission for the pair to wed in the conservative, rural state of Kelantan, local media reported.

It was the latest such case in Malaysia – there was widespread anger in June after the marriage of an 11-year-old Thai girl to a 41-year-old Malaysian rubber trader, who was also from Kelantan. While the legal minimum age for marriage in Malaysia is 16, members of the country’s Muslim majority can wed at a younger age if religious authorities give approval.

“It’s unacceptable that yet another child has got married to an elder man,” said Marianne Clark-Hattingh, Malaysia representative of UN children’s agency UNICEF, adding it was urgent to “bring legislative change to ban the practice”.

Deputy Prime Minister Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, whose portfolio includes women’s issues, said that welfare officers had been sent to meet the girl, reportedly one of 13 siblings, and her parents in the district of Tumpat.

However she suggested there was little the government could do to stop the union, as Islamic courts have jurisdiction over the issue of marriage between Muslims.

Under Malaysia’s dual-track legal system, Islamic courts can handle religious and family matters for Muslims, who make up about 60 per cent of the country’s 32 million inhabitants.

The girl’s father was quoted in The Star newspaper as saying that he had agreed for his daughter to be wed as he did not want her to continue living in poverty, and insisted she was “happily married”.

The young bride said she agreed to the marriage, although she had known the man for only a few months.

“I am happy, and I will try to keep my husband happy. That is all that matters to me,” she told the paper.

In the June case, the 11-year-old married the Malaysian man in Thailand’s Muslim-majority south under religious laws, becoming his third wife. Following an outcry, the girl returned to Thailand last month.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting