Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - WHO calls for solidarity amid rising Covid-19 risks




WHO calls for solidarity amid rising Covid-19 risks

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
World Health Organisation (WHO) Ethiopian director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus during a press briefing on Covid-19 via video link from the WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. WHO/AFP

WHO calls for solidarity amid rising Covid-19 risks

The head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) stressed that the novel coronavirus is still a major public health crisis and it is “a race to save lives, livelihoods and end this pandemic”.

In the organisation’s first press briefing of 2021, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic has “shown us once again how a new infectious virus puts those with underlying conditions at highest risk of dying” and that extra stress has been put on the health system in countries with high numbers of people with health conditions.

He said: “In the year ahead, scientists and public health experts from inside and outside WHO will continue to work with us to break down the latest science and innovations and putting forward solutions so that we can build back greener and stronger health systems.

“We have entered a new phase of the pandemic [and that solidarity is] needed like never before . . . Caseloads are so high in several countries that hospitals and intensive care units are filling up to dangerous levels.

“For some countries, during the recent holiday period and cold weather, people mixed indoors more, which we know is riskier and will have consequences. New variants, which appear to be more transmissible, are exacerbating the situation.”

He called on all countries to increase testing and sequencing of the virus in order to monitor and respond effectively to any changes.

“We must act for the most vulnerable that need help right now. As well as minimising contacts in this critical period, governments must support people who have to isolate or quarantine.

“Just as governments have generated stimulus to keep economies going, it’s important to find innovative ways to offer people the chance to isolate safely away from others,” Tedros said.

Last week the WHO issued its first emergency use listing for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and the director-general said it was encouraging to see the AstraZeneca vaccine rollout on January 4.

Tedros said: “The scientific community has set a new standard for vaccine development. Now the international community must set a new standard for access.”

He wants to see all manufacturers channel supply to Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility quickly so rollouts can begin and those at high-risk are protected.

COVAX, the WHO’s global programme for the fair distribution of future vaccines, is backed by 190 countries.

Tedros said: “We owe it morally to health workers everywhere who have been fighting the Covid-19 pandemic around the clock for the best part of a year, to vaccinate them all as soon as possible . . . People must come first over short-term profits. It’s in countries self-interest to shun vaccine nationalism.”

He pointed out that vaccinating health workers and those at high risk of serious disease is “the fastest way to stabilise health systems, ensure all essential health services are up and running and that a truly global economic recovery can take place.

“I urge all governments to work together and live up to their commitments to equitable distribution globally and all pharmaceutical groups to boost supply as quickly as possible and to fully participate in COVAX,” he said.

Also at the online briefing, Alejandro Cravioto, chairman of WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunisation (SAGE), said Covid-19 patients should take two doses of the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine within a period of 21-28 days.

“We deliberated and came out with the following recommendation – two doses of this vaccine within 21-28 days.”

CHINA DAILY/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through