Save the Children’s mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. Save the Children programs focus on Education, Health, Child Rights Governance, Child Protection and Humanitarian. We work with government partners and local NGOs to improve children’s live especially marginalized and disadvantaged children. Save the Children is looking for a qualified and motivated candidate to fill in the position of Director of Program Development and Quality (PDQ) based in Phnom Penh (with regular travel to field – at least 30% of time).
The Purpose of the Role
The Director of Program Development and Quality (PDQ) plays a key role in defining and pursuing the strategic direction for Save the Children’s programs in Cambodia, ensuring the relevance, strategic coherence, and impact of our programs for children. S/he has specific oversight for strategy and program development, and ensuring that programs demonstrate thematic excellence in contributing to Save the Children’s three priority breakthroughs for children: no child dies from preventable causes before their fifth birthday; all children learn from a quality basic education; and violence against children is no longer tolerated.
The Director of PDQ works with thematic specialists and advisors to develop evidence-based strategies, programs and projects, to strengthen program integration, and to spearhead advocacy and campaigning initiatives. S/he takes a lead in establishing systems for program monitoring, quality improvement, accountability, evaluation and learning, and in ensuring that learning and results are captured, shared and used to inform programs. The Director leads the Country Office in developing and carrying out its partnership strategy with national NGOs and other strategic partners. As a senior leader in the country office s/he plays a representational role with the Royal Government of Cambodia, donors, partners and others. The PDQ Director has the responsibility to build the capacity of, mentor and coach SC teams and individual staff in areas related to PDQ, ensuring the development of a strong national team. S/he works closely with PDQ and thematic leaders from across Save the Children to facilitate strategic alignment and to maximize synergies.
• Minimum of 10 years experience as a senior member of an international development organisation with at least 5 years management experience.
• Experience in managing more than one of the Save the Children priority sectors: education, protection, child rights governance, child poverty, health and nutrition, and humanitarian.
• Proven excellence in leading a team. Team player.
• Masters degree or its equivalent in years of experience in Social Sciences, international development, or other relevant sector
• An appreciation and understanding of the issues concerning the NGO sector in Cambodia, both development and humanitarian
• Demonstrated knowledge of children’s issues, rights-based program approaches, and child safeguarding principles.
• Proven expertise in developing and managing Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning systems, and overseeing baselines/evaluations.
• Demonstrated skills in designing and carrying out qualitative and quantitative research and using research to inform program design and advocacy.
• Demonstrated capacity to design innovative and high impact programs, and leveraging project results towards broader systemic impact.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector work
• Credibility to lobby, influence and represent Save the Children at all levels
• Strong skills in training, capacity building, coaching, and mentoring teams/staff members
• Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams, in emergencies
• Able to work well under pressure and deadlines
• Previous experience working in the field and understanding of country program operations. Experience working in SE Asia is a plus.
• Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
• Fluency in written and spoken English, Khmer would be an advantage
How to apply
A detailed job description is available on our website: http://cambodia.savethechildren.net or at the address below.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a CV and cover letter to [email protected] or post at Save the Children office.The deadline for application is 27th September 2016 at 17.00.
“All recruitment practices and procedures reflect Save the Children’s commitment to protecting children from abuse”.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and people with disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for interview. Submitted documents will not be returned.
Save the Children: P.O. Box 34, Villa 5, Street 242, Sangkat Chaktomouk, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Phone: (855) 23 223 403/4/5/6, CCC Box 59,
Email: [email protected] / Website: http://cambodia.savethechildren.net