The Department of Policy is a newly established department envisioning a center of excellence in education policy formulation, monitoring, research in order to improve quality and equity in education in Cambodia. It contributes to achieving the overall vision of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, which is to “establish and develop human resources of the highest quality and ethically sound in order to develop a knowledge-based society within Cambodia.”
I. PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Department of Policy is working on developing an Equity-focused Primary Scholarship Framework. The main purpose of the Framework is to strengthen the equity dimensions of the scholarship scheme’s policy setting and to provide guiding structure to which programmes are designed and implemented. The Project Assistant will work closely with an international consultant and the technical team in developing the Scholarship Framework.
The major responsibilities of the Project Assistant are the followings:
• Assist the international consultant in doing desk review and preparation of inception report;
• Translate documents from Khmer into English and vice versa as neededfor the consultant and the team;
• Interpret from English to Khmer and vice-versa for the consultant during meetings, field visits, and workshops;
• Provide technical supports to the consultant in the whole process of scholarship framework development;
• Organize field visits to collect data;
• Assist with other tasks to support the project work as necessary.
III. SELECTION CRITERIA:
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in education, social sciences, international development or related technical field in relation to scholarship programmes;
• Have at least one year experience in policy development, social protection, or education programs;
• Have knowledge in basic statistical methods;
• Be familiar with quantitative programming such as SPSS, STATA or other statistical software;
• Have strong communication, critical thinking, problem-solving and organizational skills;
• Outstanding communication of both written and spoken English;
• Have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Competencies, Knowledge and Skills
• Familiarity with the education sector in Cambodia and MoEYS policies and programmes;
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the work place; and
• Excellent command of English including writing and presentation skills.
IV. CONTRACT DURATION:
The Project Assistant will be contracted full-timefora maximum of 44 working days starting from the middle of September 2018 to the end of March 2019. The position will be based primarily at the Department of Policy office in Phnom Penh, with occasional travels to provinces for field visits, data collection, and workshops.
Interested candidates are kindly requested to apply and submit the following documents to Mr. Nov Saovorak via [email protected] or upload the documents to http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/
1. Letter of Interest (cover letter) with indication of applicant’s ability, availability and start date
2. CV or Resume with explaining how your background and experience are relevant to the consultancy work assignment and the qualifications, competencies, knowledge and skills
3. Lump sum financial proposal that should include indicative daily rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference. Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is August 31, 2018 at 5PM (Cambodian time).Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.