The Embassy of Sweden in Phnom Penh is inviting qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
The Development Cooperation Section at the Embassy of Sweden in Cambodia is responsible for implementing the Swedish Strategy for Development Cooperation with Cambodia. The Development Cooperation Section consists of Head of Development Cooperation, Programme Officers, Controller and Finance Officer/Programme Administrator.
As part of the European Union’s Sector Budget Support in Public Financial Management (PFM), EU has delegated EUR 5 million to the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency – Sida – through the Embassy of Sweden to implement the so-called Partnership for Accountability and Transparency Programme (PAT) to strengthen the enabling environment for the PFM reform in Cambodia through improved public accountability and transparency. Sweden contributes with an additional EUR 4,5 million to the PAT-programme. The objective of the PAT programme is to contribute to an enabling environment for the PFM reform by strengthening the demand for and supply of public transparency and accountability through institutional capacity development. The programme consists of four distinctive components/projects namely; national statistics, domestic revenue, parliamentary oversight of the budget, and enhanced financial/budget literacy and anti-corruption. However, as there is large potential for synergies between the different components, the Embassy of Sweden also pro-actively assists partners in finding ways to work together when relevant.
2. Responsibilities and Duties
Under the supervision of the Head of Development Cooperation, the National Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Assist with management of components/projects which are part of the PAT Programme (statistics, domestic revenue, parliamentary oversight and/or budget literacy and anti-corruption) in line with Sida’s contribution management process, as well as relevant rules and regulations. This involves monitor progress, analyze and report on results, financial follow-up, review audits, and handle various administration and documentation matters.
• Co-write parts of the annual report to the EU for the PAT programme.
• Assist in monitoring and assessment of developments in relevant reforms in Cambodia such as PFM reform, domestic revenue reform and national statistics.
• Assist in establishment and maintaining close cooperation with development partners such as government authorities, donors, NGOs and multilateral organisations within the areas of responsibility.
• Set-up meetings, make translations (oral or in writing), organize of events, as requested.
• Contribute to implementation and follow up of the development cooperation strategy, operational planning and reporting.
• Report and communicate results of the PAT programme specifically and the Swedish development cooperation more generally.
• Represent Sweden at meetings, seminars and conferences of different levels.
• Support and conduct other tasks as needed within the Embassy.
The work requires an ability to independently perform duties, including taking initiatives and responsibility for the completion and delivery of individual tasks. The work also requires ability to cooperate closely with colleagues and take responsibility for teamwork.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, law, political science, economics, or related fields.
Experience: At least 3 years of experience in similar roles in international organizations, embassies or large non-governmental organizations. Professional knowledge and experience of PFM and/or project cycle management at national and sub-national levels with diverse stakeholders and partners is an asset. Good understanding of public sector reforms like decentralization, social accountability and local governance is an asset.
Knowledge/skills: Excellent inter-personal skills. Service-minded. Analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to independently perform duties and to ensure the delivery and completion of tasks with attention to details, also under periods of high workload. Good communication skills. Flexibility and ability to prioritise tasks. Solid planning skills. Outgoing, motivated and willing to learn new things. Ability to adapt to a different cultural environment and to changing responsibilities. Strong skills in Microsoft Office programs incl. Word and Excel.
Language: Excellent command of the English and Khmer language, both orally and in writing. Swedish language skills would be an asset.
In carrying out the duties, the National Programme Officer will work particularly close with the Programme Officer for PFM but will also liaise with other staff at the Embassy.
3. Salary and Benefits
Based on the Swedish Foreign Service salary system for locally employed staff.
Applicants should submit the following documents by e-mail to the Embassy of Sweden in Phnom Penh:
1. A brief but comprehensive CV, including details of relevant education and work experience;
2. A one-page letter of application in English, setting out why you consider yourself a good candidate for this position;
3. Names, telephone numbers, and addresses of two reference persons who are willing to provide a reference on your character and work capacity;
4. Contact phone numbers and e-mail address in Cambodia where the Embassy can rapidly contact you.
Applications shall be sent electronically to: [email protected]. As the subject of the message, please indicate: “NPO/PAT”. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 November 2020.
Questions may be directed by e-mail to Annlouise Olofsson ([email protected]) or by email to Samuel Hurtig ([email protected])
The Embassy will consider received applications and contact the selected candidates for interviews and written tests as soon as possible. The Embassy will not return documentation received from the applicants.
Tests of language proficiency may be performed by the Embassy as part of the interview process.