The British Embassy in Phnom Penh is part of a world-wide network of 230 Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are currently looking to recruit a Pro Consul – Grade B3(L) to join our dynamic team.
The jobholder will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the consular operation in Phnom Penh. They will be delivering efficient consular assistance and fee-bearing services to customers; and contributing to the delivery of the regional consular business plan, the country business plan as well as leading on consular elements of emergency planning. As this is a small Embassy, a flexible approach is required as the jobholder may be asked to manage tasks outside of the main role outlined below and the main role itself may be subject to amendment in the future.
Fluent English is essential as the jobholder will be required to communicate difficult messages to demanding customers in challenging circumstances. For non-native speakers, a minimum IELTS score of 7.5 will be required.
Consular Service Delivery
• Lead on the management of Consular service delivery, through effective use of delegation, supporting and coaching the three Consular Officers and two Honorary Consuls to meet delivery and quality targets, with oversight from the Vice Consul.
• Responsible for consular service delivery, including Assistance and Notarial work.
• Assistance work to include: visiting Consular customers in prisons and hospitals, assistance to families of bereaved, providing self-help and signposting advice to customers in need of assistance, liaising with local authorities and supporting the Consular Officers in replying to written communications.
• Notarial work to include: management of Emergency Travel Document services, organising marriage processes and witnessing signatures.
Outreach & Preventative Communications
• Support the Vice Consul in the formation and delivery of Consular outreach and preventative communications strategy and work.
• Work with the Consular Team in conducting outreach visits and meetings in key areas of Cambodia in support of our outreach strategy. Produce written reports where relevant.
• Manage the maintenance of the Consular Contacts database.
• Support the Embassy’s Web Editor in updating Consular content on online platforms, including social media.
• Line manage three Consular Officers, adhering to the Performance Management process.
• Seek out and offer staff development opportunities, e.g. by delegating more challenging work, coaching and offering feedback.
• Encourage high levels of motivation and performance, supporting and coaching staff to get the best from them. Value diversity, treat staff with equity and fairness, and create a climate that embraces different ways of thinking/ acting and encourage all to fulfil their potential.
• Work with the Vice Consul to ensure the three Consular Officers have realistic training and development plans, including evaluations of their effectiveness.
• Work with the Consular Team to meet Management Information requirements, including monthly statistics and prisoner returns.
• Responsible for the management of cash receipts/ till returns.
• Work with the Vice Consul in the implementation of the Consular strategy and associated change programmes.
• Assist the Deputy Head of Mission in the maintenance of the Embassy’s Crisis Management Plan.
• Take an active part in at least one of the Embassy’s management committees.
• Take an active part in wider Embassy work, e.g. attending official Embassy functions and organising social activities.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong customer focus.
• Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken. For candidates with English as a second language, certification at IELTS (or equivalent) level 7.5 or higher within the last 2 years is required. All skill areas (Writing, Speaking, Listening and Reading) must be IELTS score 6.5 or higher.
• Flexible, resilient under pressure and decisive with a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within tight deadlines.
• Personal drive and the ability to be a self-starter as well as a team player.
• Strong time management and prioritisation skills.
• Able to travel across the country and occasionally internationally as needed.
• Willingness to work additional hours as necessary, sometimes unsociable hours during a crisis.
• Khmer language skills would be beneficial, but would not be essential to the role.
• Experience of a similar role in another Embassy, NGO or international organization would be an advantage.
• Making Effective Decisions
• Managing a Quality Service
• Changing & Improving
• Collaborating & Partnering
• Delivering at Pace
• Building Capability for All
The monthly salary for this position starts from USD 1,516.
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary, benefits, leave entitlement and training opportunities.
We also offer 18 days of leave entitlement per annum pro rata.
Please send your CV and the completed application form, which can be downloaded from our website at https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-phnom-penh/about/recruitment to [email protected]
All applications must be received on or before 3 April 2015.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Employment offers are subject to the successful clearance of pre-employment checks. You must be eligible to work in Cambodia. No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Phnom Penh are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
The British Consulate-General is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.