Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Just one chance at exam this year




Just one chance at exam this year

Students check a notice board with second-round exam results at a high school in Phnom Penh
Students check a notice board with second-round exam results at a high school in Phnom Penh last year. Heng Chivoan

Just one chance at exam this year

High school students who fail the national exams this year will not be getting a second chance like their 2014 counterparts.

While some extenuating and unavoidable circumstances will be taken into consideration, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport announced yesterday that final-year students would only get one shot at a passing grade.

The decision comes after the ministry clamped down on cheating during last year’s grade 12 exams, leading to a drop in the pass rate from 87 per cent in 2013 to a disastrous 25 per cent.

In the wake of the embarrassing plunge, Prime Minister Hun Sen personally intervened to announce a resit for those who had failed the all-important tests, which are essential qualifications for accessing most university degree courses.

In November, a second round of tests was held in the hopes that more of the roughly 60,000 students who failed in the first round would pass. Only 18 per cent of those who re-sat the exams passed, while no students gained A or B grades and only one student reached a C. Only 11 students nationwide among the initial group to pass had obtained an A.

The Education Ministry said in a statement yesterday that it would work with the Anti-Corruption Unit again this year to stop cheating.

“Cooperation with the Anti-Corruption Unit is needed to observe the exam process, and a second exam will not be needed, except in cases of force majeure,” the statement said.

Hang Chuon Naron, minister of education, said that the ministry was unable to afford to organise re-sits this year, so students would need to work harder in order to be able to go to university.

“We would like to urge candidates to work as hard as they can, because this year there will not be a second exam, unless there are extenuating circumstances,” he said.

Rong Chhun, president of the Cambodian Independent Teachers Association, said that while it was a good idea to restrict the number of tests students were allowed to take, the move must be accompanied by a serious effort to improve schooling from a young age.

“If we just limit the number of high school exams, it will make it impossible for students. They cannot get educated without quality learning provision,” he said.

He added that the government should address the lack of educational materials in schools, such as text books and stationary.

Last year, the Education Ministry requested an additional $2.5 million from the treasury to fund the second round of exams.

Education watchdogs were critical that the government had shelled out millions of dollars given that only a small minority of students passed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through