Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - kaZantip festival organisers told to reapply

kaZantip festival organisers told to reapply

kaZantip festival organisers told to reapply

The organisers of notorious music festival kaZantip will need to reapply for permission to hold the 10-day event, which is scheduled to open next week, Minister of Tourism Thong Khon said yesterday.

“[We will] ask them to apply again to the [government] through the provincial authority, the Ministry of Tourism; and the Ministry of Culture will ask some questions,” Khon said in a text message.

Sihanoukville Provincial Governor Chhit Sokhom said that if approval was granted the authorities would seek to ensure the safety of revelers.

“There are some things we will not allow them to do,” he said. “We will stop them if they walk naked; have sex in public; use drugs or gamble.”

The comments came a week after the governor penned a letter suggesting the festival would be cancelled because it could violate “Cambodian tradition, culture, and dignity”.

Khon said last week that the event, which is scheduled to begin on February 18, would not go ahead because it had a reputation for “indecency” and a “naked dance”.

The organisers of Kazantip Asia could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation

  • Sri Lanka’s LOLC Holdings plans to sell Cambodian unit

    LOLC Holdings Plc, Sri Lanka’s second-largest publicly traded company by revenue, plans to sell its 70 per cent stake in Prasac Microfinance Institution Ltd, which also counts Hong Kong’s Bank of East Asia Ltd. as a shareholder, LOLC deputy chairman Ishara Nanayakkara said. Nanayakkara