Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer Rouge duo charged



Khmer Rouge duo charged

KRT suspects
Khmer Rouge tribunal suspects Meas Muth (left) and Im Chaem (right).

Khmer Rouge duo charged

Flying in the face of years of government opposition, Khmer Rouge tribunal international co-investigating judge Mark Harmon on Tuesday charged former Democratic Kampuchea leaders Im Chaem and Meas Muth with crimes against humanity, among other charges.

It is the first time either has been officially named by the court.

Former Khmer Rouge navy commander Muth was charged in Case 003 with “murder, extermination, enslavement, imprisonment, persecution on political and ethnic grounds, and other inhumane acts” at the Wat Enta Nhien and S-21 security centres, at sea and on islands claimed by Democratic Kampuchea.

Case 004 suspect Chaem, who is accused of leading purges, was charged with similar crimes relating to the Phnom Trayoung security centre and the Spean Sreng worksite.

Yesterday, the 72-year-old maintained her innocence, and said she was unfazed by the court’s decision.

“Why should I be worried about the charges against me?” Chaem asked. “I am not wrong, the person who charged me is wrong.”

The charges were issued unilaterally by Harmon, without the approval of his Cambodian counterpart You Bunleng, who has maintained that he considers the cases against the suspects in government opposed Cases 003 and 004 to be closed.

“The two judges have different views on these cases which are covered by the rules of the court,” said court legal communications officer Lars Olsen, explaining the unilateral action.

“The court’s legal framework anticipates situations like that, and there are measures in place to deal with that,” he added.

Bunleng could not be reached for comment.

The charges were issued in absentia, a decision Olsen said was based on “several considerations”.

First of all, he said, the charges must be issued in order to give defence teams access to the case file – long a demand of theirs – and in order to expedite the proceedings. Additionally, he said, “it has not been possible, within a reasonable time, to get any arrest warrants executed”.

The government has frequently voiced its opposition to any cases beyond the already-concluded Case 001 against S-21 commandant Kaing Guek Eav, also known as Duch, and the current Case 002 against Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan.

In a speech just last week, Prime Minister Hun Sen – himself a former Khmer Rouge cadre who defected and took part in the Vietnamese invasion that overthrew the regime – obliquely raised the prospect of future wars if prosecutions moved forward in Cases 003 and 004.

“The trial wants to go [for] too much...[and] expand the scope, causing some people to go back to the jungles,” he said. “We have to think about the importance of peace, the importance of life. How many people will die if war comes again?”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted

  • Cambodia seeks probe into 'false reports' on Hun Sen's alleged Cypriot passport

    Minister of Justice Koeut Rith on September 6 wrote a letter to his Cypriot counterpart Stephie Dracos requesting cooperation in investigating and providing the truth in relation to the "exaggerative and false allegations" that Prime Minister Hun Sen holds a Cypriot passport. In his letter, the