Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong villagers block road to official’s house




Koh Kong villagers block road to official’s house

Villagers embroiled in a land dispute block a Koh Kong road
Villagers embroiled in a land dispute block a Koh Kong road yesterday. Photo Supplied

Koh Kong villagers block road to official’s house

Villagers angered by the continued drive by Chinese firm Union Development Group to evict them from their homes in Koh Kong province have been threatened with force after they blocked a road leading to the district governor’s house.

On Tuesday, about 30 security guards from the company entered Prek Smach village in Kiri Sakor district, which is protected against forced relocation by a government order, intending to destroy houses.

Villagers intervened, according to a community representative, 71-year-old Prak Thorn. But the guards returned the same afternoon with a dump truck full of sand, which they used to block access to village.

“So we decided early this morning to block another road in front of the district governor’s office, which is a new road that was built by the district governor himself,” Thorn said. “The Union Development Group still wants us to move from here, even though they know we won’t move, and the authorities cannot do anything because they get money from the company,” he said.

UDG was granted a 36,000-hectare land concession in Kiri Sakor and Botum Sakor districts in April 2008 for a $3.8 billion mega-tourism zone. Another adjacent concession for a hydropower dam brought the total land under the firm’s control to 45,000 hectares.

In Kong Chit, the provincial coordinator for rights group Licadho, said the company has been ordered to halt forced evictions in the area and refrain from using violence. “A lot of people know that most of the authorities, including the district governor and the chief of the commune, get money monthly from the company to listen to their wishes,” he claimed.

UDG representatives could not be reached yesterday.

District governor Khem Chandy denied he has taken money from the company and said if the villagers continued to block the road the authorities would “take administrative measures”, referring to the use of force. “I am not on the company’s side,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped