Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Administrator addresses PM's comments




Administrator addresses PM's comments

Administrator addresses PM's comments

The Khmer Rouge tribunal’s acting director of administration said at a press conference Wednesday that he did not see any problem with Prime Minister Hun Sen criticising a recent Pre-Trial Chamber decision that paved the way for the investigations of additional suspects. 

In response to a question from a reporter, Tony Kranh said: “He [Hun Sen] has the right to make any comments or mention on all kinds of matter or fields, including the judicial matter. I cannot see any contradiction at all.”

Hun Sen’s remarks earlier this month — in which he said further indictments risked civil unrest that could claim hundreds of thousands of lives — were blasted by groups including Human Rights Watch, which said they were  evidence of "the Cambodian government's efforts to manipulate what is supposed to be an independent judicial process". 

Deputy Director of Administration Knut Rosandhaug, who was also at the press conference, reiterated his position that the court would operate independently of the executive branch of the Cambodian government.

Also at the press conference, Tony Kranh declined to answer questions about allegations of a kickback scheme at the tribunal.

“It has already been more than one year, and I don’t know whether there is any investigation,” Tony Kranh said. “It’s like I’m climbing up to the top of the mountain and you’re trying to drag me down to the foot of the mountain. I don’t understand.”

Rosandhaug said the budget proposal for 2010 and 2011 was in “the final stages of drafting” before a presentation to the Group of Interested States in New York later this year. He declined to provide an estimate for the budget, though he said: “We are the cheapest tribunal in the world and we will continue to be so.”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.