Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Comrade Duch trial to start March 30, 2009

Comrade Duch trial to start March 30, 2009

months of delays, judges at the tribunal have set a schedule for the first substantive hearing at the Khmer Rouge Tribunal. " />

Comrade Duch trial to start March 30, 2009

After months of delays, judges at the tribunal have set a schedule for the first substantive hearing at the Khmer Rouge Tribunal. While last week's Initial Hearing marked the official start of Comrade Duch's trial, it was a purely procedural event. As I've mentioned before, the real meat of the trial is yet to come.

According to the Trial Chamber's order, we can expect it in late March. The substantive hearing will begin Monday, March 30 at 10 a.m. and continue March 31 and April 1 at 9 a.m. From that point, proceedings will run every week, Monday through Thursday, beginning at 9 a.m.

Proceedings will not be held on national holidays and the court will observe two periods of rest, from April 13 to 17, and May 1 through 15. The current schedule only runs through July 2, and additional trial days will be determined at a later date.

The next several months will no doubt be an incredibly exciting, and historic, period in Cambodia.

* Pictured: "Comrade Duch" at the Initial Hearing. Photo courtesy of the ECCC.

 

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will