Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New defence consultant for Duch




New defence consultant for Duch

New defence consultant for Duch

Israeli newspaper Haaretz reports that Nick Kaufman, a former prosecutor at the International Criminal Court, has been appointed as a consultant for Duch's defence team following last month's verdict. Kaufman says he's been impressed by Duch's expressions of remorse and is ready to move forward with the appeal process.

"I believe in the sincerity of his regret, after meeting him last week, and I feel that the legal errors in the sentence reassure me that representing him in the appeal is the right thing to do," Kaufman said.

Kaufman said there was substance to the defense's claim that Duch had been just a cog in the Khmer Rouge's killing machine, following the orders of his superiors.

"When you take the Khmer Rouge regime into account, which terrorized anyone who disobeyed it," Kaufman said, "you can see why these regimes produce yes-men. People go out of their way to prove their obedience, until the point when the industry of evil becomes banal. Duch is that kind of person, but I was very impressed by the fact that he owned up to that and recognized his own responsibility."

Defendants at the tribunal are typically represented by international and Cambodian co-lawyers, though this is not a requirement; Duch is currently represented by Kar Savuth and Kang Ritheary, both Cambodian. UN court spokesman Lars Olsen said Kaufman is not expected to appear at appeal hearings before the Supreme Court Chamber.

Last month, the court announced that Duch had dismissed international co-lawyer Francois Roux following a "loss of confidence" in his representation. The two had a very public falling out during closing arguments last year, when Duch shocked Roux and the rest of the court by asking for an acquittal.

Kang Ritheary said yesterday that the defence team was close to finalising its notice of appeal.

 

 

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said