Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecutors want to show Vietnamese films at trial




Prosecutors want to show Vietnamese films at trial

filed a motion to show archival Vietnamese footage of Tuol Sleng at the upcoming trial of "Comrade Duch." " />

Prosecutors want to show Vietnamese films at trial

Co-Prosecutors at the tribunal have filed a motion to show archival Vietnamese footage of Tuol Sleng at the upcoming trial of "Comrade Duch."

Vietnamese authorities turned the films over to the Documentation Center of Cambodia in late December -- after prosecutors had already submitted the list of exhibits they planned to use at trial. While the motion is a relatively dry request that prosecutors be able to introduce these new exhibits, it includes some interesting details about the actual materials.

In the collection of films given to DC-Cam, prosecutors argue that two in particular have relevance to Duch's case:

"The first relevant segment is 7 minutes and 35 seconds in duration, and consists of black and white silent motion picture images that appear to depict the central S-21 compound in the immediate aftermath of its discovery by Vietnamese forces on or about 10 January 1979. The images include scenes of the main gate of the S-21 central compound, overview scenes of the interior of the compound, and scenes of various types of cells and restraint devices within the S-21 central compound and decapitated corpses chained to beds in Building A of the compound, among other things."

The second film clip, "is four minutes in duration and consists of black and white silent motion picture images that appear to depict Vietnamese soldiers removing two live infants and two live children from the S-21 compound, also in the aftermath of its discovery by Vietnamese forces. ... The infants seen in the film appear to be in very poor health."

According to the prosecutors, "this is the only film footage known to have been taken of Tuol Sleng that close in time to the period when it was used as a DK prison."

It is unclear to me if this issue is going to be discussed at Duch's Initial Hearing Feb. 17, or if it will be decided beforehand. Court spokespeople were unable to comment on the matter.

This does indeed appear to be very powerful footage, however, and it's hard to imagine it not being presented at trial.

Also in anticipation of Duch's trial, court observers have told the Post that a decision on whether to pursue additional prosecutions at the ECCC should be reached before the Feb. 17 hearing.

* Pictured: An unidentified prisoner is photographed at Tuol Sleng.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said