Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour Ministry vows to investigate recruiter



Labour Ministry vows to investigate recruiter

Labour Ministry vows to investigate recruiter

Responding to parliament’s order to investigate allegations against a recruitment agency with a record of mistreating its workers, the Ministry of Labour dispatched a team today to meet with a group of defrauded labourers.

Thirty-six would-be migrants in Kampong Thom claim licensed agency AP TSE & C charged them $300 each under the auspices of providing legal work in Thailand within two months, a worker representative said.

The offer and money were exchanged in July, but workers say, job prospects never emerged.

“The company does not comply with its promise, so we lose confidence and demand a refund,” said Taing Roeuy one of the 36 labourers.

Opposition lawmaker Men Sothavrin got wind of the complaints at a meeting last month, and wrote a letter detailing the grievances to the National Assembly, dated February 9.

“We received the letter from the National Assembly and are facilitating an investigation,” said Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour. “If the company has really neglected our workers and failed to send them to Thailand, then we must request they compensate fully.”

The ministry’s jump to action on the Kampong Thom complaint reflects a dramatic turnaround from typical disregard workers and rights groups report encountering when bringing recruitment woes to the government.

“The recruiters tend to have powerful owners with strong connections to government officials,” said Chan Naron of anti-trafficking group Chab Dai. “Even when we have gone with clients to the Anti-Human Trafficking Police, when the officers hear some companies’ names they say, ‘Oh, this will be very difficult to solve.’”

But the 36 workers aren’t the first to complain about AP TSE & C, which some say has family connections to high-ranking government officials.

In 2011, a maid sent to Malaysia by the agency was allegedly murdered by her employer, though the firm dismissed witness accounts and said she had pneumonia. Last August, a training centre subsidiary shipped more than 200 workers to Thailand and left them stranded without an employer, the labourers said.

But agency owner Seng Setthychey said the latest complaints in Kampong Thom are unfounded, as workers refused employment in a Thai factory.

Labour Ministry spokesman Sour yesterday declined to comment on whether the recruiter’s licence could be suspended if the latest allegations prove genuine.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a