Land feud in P Vihear heats up

Land feud in P Vihear heats up

A Vietnamese-owned company in Preah Vihear province has cleared land claimed by hundreds of villagers to plant crops in violation of the law, a complaint filed with rights groups alleges.

The community in Rovieng district’s Ruosroan commune, comprising 127 families, claims that since January last year, workers from the PNT company had cleared the land and refused to allow the villagers to continue to live in enclaves within the concession as previously agreed.

Vong Sokkheng Ly, a 48-year-old former soldier and representative of the villagers, said many of the villagers had lived on the land for 15 years or more, while the company only signed a contract with the Ministry of Agriculture in 2010, according to the ministry’s website.

“I got this land and farmed on eight hectares for 15 years until now to help raise my kids,” he said.

PNT representatives, including its listed board director, Tseng Kuo-Chan, could not be reached yesterday.

“If they come and seize the land like this, how can we continue to live,” Ly said, adding that 3 hectares of his land and at least 20 hectares of other villagers’ land had already been cleared by the company.

Ang Cheatlom, executive director of the Ponlok Khmer Organization in Preah Vihear, one of two rights groups that received the villagers’ complaints, said that PNT disputed the community’s claim to the land in its 7,900-hectare economic land concession.

“If the company cuts off some land for the villagers, the dispute will end. The company will still benefit, since it will still have lots of land,” he said.

Chuon Chieng, Ruosroan commune chief, said the company had given his office assurances that it would not attempt to take the land from the villagers.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a