Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fresh Prince of Bel-Air set for gritty reboot, reports say




Fresh Prince of Bel-Air set for gritty reboot, reports say

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fresh Prince actor Will Smith is the executive producer of the reimagined show. AFP

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air set for gritty reboot, reports say

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is getting turned upside-down as a gritty drama set to be executive produced by Will Smith, Hollywood trade publications reported on Tuesday.

The idea for a dark modern-day “reimagining” of the smash hit 1990s sitcom that launched Smith’s acting career came from superfan Morgan Cooper, who shot and posted his own four-minute trailer last year.

Two versions of the trailer have been viewed over seven million times and won over Smith himself, who met Cooper last year and praised his “brilliant” idea.

Smith said on his YouTube channel at the time: “Morgan did a ridiculous trailer for ‘Bel-Air’ – a brilliant idea, the dramatic version of The Fresh Prince for the next generation.”

The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline reported that the project is now in development with Smith’s Westbrook Studios and Universal TV, and being pitched to various streaming platforms including Netflix.

The project would feature hour-long dramatic episodes telling the story of how Smith’s character became embroiled in a fight with Philadelphia gang members before being sent to live with wealthy relatives in the affluent Los Angeles suburb of Bel-Air.

Cooper told Smith last year: “I envision the first season being the rest of his junior year – there’s no worse time for a kid to land in a new place, in the middle of the school year.”

Cooper’s trailer includes a young Will’s first meeting with popular characters from the original series, including Jazz – alias Jazzy Jeff – at a Los Angeles record store.

Cooper will co-write the script, direct and be credited as a co-executive producer, working alongside several original members of the “Fresh Prince” creative team and showrunner Chris Collins (The Wire) according to reports.

Smith and Cooper’s representatives did not immediately respond to AFP request for comment.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air ran for six seasons from 1990-1996, becoming a global hit. It showcased the acting and comedic talents of Smith, then a young rapper who would go on to become one of Hollywood’s biggest movie stars.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped