Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police deny role in Freshie Boy death




Police deny role in Freshie Boy death

Police deny role in Freshie Boy death

120607_17d

Freshie Boy Sok Vireak could have been saved from suicide if the family had given US$500 to the police, a relative of the star says.

Sok Vireak, 19, was the third runner-up in TV 3’s Freshie Boy 2012 Contest, which honours the most handsome man in the nation.

On May 24, about 3:30pm, he was pronounced dead after jumping from the Cambodia-Japan Friendship Bridge in Phnom Penh, a popular spot for suicides, reportedly after being dumped by his girlfriend.

Mam Kim Eng, who claimed to be a close relative, said: “There was a fishing boat and police at the spot, but nobody could save him.

They said they would save the boy if they were given $500.” Kem Kong, the police officer in charge of the area, said that claim was untrue.

“Some people said the fishing boat asked for money to save the victim, so I think people may be confused and think that the police asked for $500.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Seth Kimsoeurn at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15