Provincial surgical hospital saved

Provincial surgical hospital saved

120321_18b

Helicopters descended, disabled Khmer dancers gathered and Emergency Surgical Hospital staff and trauma patients celebrated the news that their hospital in Battambang, which was on the brink of closure, would remain open thanks to a new bout of continual funding.

{jathumbnail}

Two months ago Emergency Surgical Hospital, which is responsible for more than 3,500 surgical procedures per year, including half of all Cambodia’s landmine victims, was told it would be shut down because its funding from Italy had dried up.

Enter Dr Haruhisa Handa, a Japanese philanthropist and Cambodian humanitarian, who, at the weekend announced the indefinite financial support of the hospital by The Handa Foundation, allowing it to remain open and fully operational.

The Handa Foundation, an initiative of Dr Handa, founds and funds Cambodian hospitals, schools and orphanages to help recover the nation from its history of war and trauma, including the University of Cambodia and the Sihanouk Hospital in Phnom Penh.

“The hospital in Battambang provides a very important service to the region because it handles complicated traumas and has excellent quality,” Dr Handa said.

“The amount of suffering, had it closed, would have been terrible.”

Emergency Surgical Hospital medical coordinator Dr Nicola Donati said: “I remember the day I received the news from Emergency that they were not able to run the hospital anymore. I was scared because this hospital had to be kept alive.”

According to The Handa Foundation country director Kevin O’Brien, the nearest medical facility in the country that operated on traumas received at Emergency Surgical Hospital was a five hour drive away in Phnom Penh.

“Many patients would simply not have survived such a trip,” O’Brien said.

Dr Handa said he would support the hospital for as long as he was able to, adding he hoped that would be “for another 10,000 years”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.