Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Zimbabwean expert deminers keeping Falkland Islands safe



Zimbabwean expert deminers keeping Falkland Islands safe

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Zimbabwean citizens work on a mined beach in Stanley, Falkland Islands (Malvinas) on October 11. PABLO PORCIUNCULA BRUNE/afp

Zimbabwean expert deminers keeping Falkland Islands safe

Thirty-seven years ago, Argentine soldiers invaded the Falkland Islands, planting thousands of mines. British troops liberated the locals then – and a few dozen Zimbabweans keep them safe now.

“There are over 100 minefields flung all across the Falkland Islands from Fox Bay, Port Howard, Goose Green, Fizroy, Stanley area, Longden, all over the place,” said John Hare, the technical director of SafeLane Global, which has been contracted by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office to clear the mines.

The Argentine army laid around 25,000 mines during their 74-day occupation of the remote British overseas territory in the South Atlantic. For the past decade, expert Zimbabwean deminers have been charged with clearing the fields.

When the war ended in 1982, the Argentines handed over their records.

Since then, demining teams have undertaken the painstaking process of trawling through the documents, sourcing background information from locals and probing into minefields for evidence of potential explosives.

‘Great group of guys’

Only once that was done did the deminers start clearing the explosive devices.

“The Zimbabwean deminers are experts in this job. We’ve been doing this for quite a long time, most of us are in our 21st year doing this job,” Michael Madziva, the site supervisor, said about his 100-strong team.

Back in 1999 a company called Bactec, which was one of several to later merge into SafeLane Global, was contracted to clear two million mines along the border between Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Local Zimbabweans were recruited and trained, and they have since become world-renowned for their expertise.

“Since 2015, I’ve had basically the same group of deminers,” said Hare, who used to be a bomb disposal expert with the Royal Engineers.

“They’re . . . a really great group of guys to work with.”

The Zimbabwean experts have been deployed all over the world – including to Afghanistan, Iraq, South Sudan, Eritrea, Croatia and Lebanon – to clear mines following devastating conflicts.

“What made them good deminers is they love their job,” added Madziva.

There were originally 122 areas to clear in the Falklands, but there are only 11 to 12 left. The project, which began in 2009, is expected to finish by the end of next year, according to Guy Marot, who heads the Falkland Islands Demining Service Programme.

The group is currently working on a beach close to the Falklands capital Stanley, where Argentina expected British troops to land. Instead, they arrived on the other side of the East Falkland island at San Carlos.

Once located by a huge digger that sifts through the sand, the mines are either disarmed on the spot and then transferred to a quarry to be burnt, or those that are too dangerous to move are destroyed on the spot by explosives.

‘Thrilled to see snow’

Even though it’s a long way from home, some deminers went on to settle in the Falklands.

Jonas Muza, 41, quit demining and moved to the Falklands in 2015. His wife Anna joined him a year later, and he’s expecting to bring his three daughters over next year.

“I liked it before even I came here. I liked the place because of the weather,” Muza said.

“I was thrilled to see snow for the first time.”

Anna, who works as a kitchen assistant in the deminers’ group accommodation, wasn’t quite so enamoured.

“It’s very cold here,” she said, smiling. “I was shocked.”

Deminers work in the Falklands from September to June, but Muza wanted employment all year round, so he found work fitting tyres instead.

“In demining, when the contract finishes, it’s obvious you are unemployed until another job comes your way. I didn’t like that. I wanted constant income so I can sustain my family,” said Muza.

Although his children – Nathalie, 17, Keisha, 11, and five-year-old Kiara – have been enrolled in school for the next year, Muza doesn’t see the Falklands as a permanent home.

He’s building a nine-room house in Zimbabwe.

“I will go back some point in the future,” he said. “Like they say, home calls you. East, west, south – home is home.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting