Critical comments abound prior to Myanmar’s elections
Than Shwe was trained in psychological warfare and is very skilful at divide and rule and manipulation.”
- Benedict Rogers, Than Shwe biographer
[Than Shwe] is small, plump, slow moving and physically unimposing. He’s far from the image of a fire-breathing demagogue.”
- Mark Canning, ex-British ambassador to Myanmar
Although they said the connection has been attacked, it’s hard to believe. I think they have been doing it intentionally for the election day to delay news reaching the international community.”
- Kyaw Kyaw, a 25-year-old university student in Yangon, speculating on why the internet stopped working during much of the past two weeks.
My sense is that there were certainly cases of intimidation. These votes are very open to abuses.”
- Britain’s ambassador to Myanmar Andrew Heyn
One thing we know for sure is that it’s not going to be a free or fair election. But the larger question is will there be opportunities to exploit after the election and to press the new government toward better governance.”
- Suzanne DiMaggio, director of policy studies at the Asia Society
I believe that the election will not change anything because the political prisoners are not released and there are limitations. We believe that we will succeed one day, but we need to keep trying.”
- HOW OLD WAS THE PERSON WHO SAID THIS? __-year-old Burmese social activist
Stretch out your research muscles
Wherever you see a magnifying glass, you will find a question. When you are done reading What’s news, go online to phnompenhpost.com or any other site to figure out the answer. If you are the first person to send all three correct answers in an e-mail to [email protected] you will win a three-month subscription to Phnom Penh Post’s Khmer language newspaper.
Big Stories What's your top 3? angkorone.com/lift
- THE elections in America turned out to be distastrous for Barack Obama and the Democratic party, who just two years ago were far more popular than the Republican Party. This election saw the most campaign donations, in terms of dollars, as any in the history of the United States. Republicans now have a majority of seats in congress, while Democrats still have more members in the senate and Obama in the executive office. AFP
- THE owner of mobile phone provider Mobitel signed what is believed to be Cambodia’s biggest refinancing deal.
The Royal Group inked a HOW MANY MILLION DOLLARS? agreement to refinance Mobitel’s debts and expand its services, with the Bank of China
acting as its main lender. POST/Jeremy Mullins?
- THAI lawmakers failed to approve the latest round of border negotiations with Cambodia during a parliamentary session yesterday, prompting renewed complaints from Phnom Penh about the long-delayed process. “We’ve expressed our regret as this continues to go on,” said Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Koy Kuong. POST/Cheang Sokha and James O’Toole
Go to angkorone.com/lift and tell us what you think about the elections in Myanmar
by the numbers*
Years since the last election was held in Burma. Aung San Suu Kyi was elected prime minister but the junta ignord the results and constinued to rule.
The number of seats, out of ___HOW MANY SEATS WERE THERE TOTAL?, that Suu Kyi parties won.
Eligible voters in Myanmar for these elections.
The percentage of total candidates in this week’s elections that are aligned with one of the two pro-junta parties.
The percentage of seats in the national and regional governments reserved for the junta, regardless of the outcome of elections.
The percentage of people (1 out of 455) living in Myanmar who were internet users in 2009.
Critical comments abound
prior to Myanmar’s elections