Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mafia beef in S'ville

Mafia beef in S'ville

Medical personnel inspect a stab wound on the torso of Bulgar Mihai at a clinic
Medical personnel inspect a stab wound on the torso of Bulgar Mihai at a clinic on Friday after he was attacked at a Sihanoukville casino. Photo Supplied

Mafia beef in S'ville

A Russian “mafia” group has attacked the official tour operator for this week’s kaZantip music festival in a bid to extort money, the operator’s representative has claimed, as rumours swirl about the involvement of prominent members of Sihanoukville’s Russian business community.

Armed with guns and what witnesses described as a samurai sword, a group of men launched an assault on Lotus Tours at their headquarters at the Queenco Hotel in Sihanoukville on Friday, February 13.

According to Emergency Legal Consulting Agency (ELCA) – which is representing Lotus – the attackers “started shooting and stabbing indiscriminately” injuring three tourists, one seriously, after their attempt of extorting cash from the company was rebuffed by staff.

“The criminals armed with machetes and guns introduced themselves as the mafia protector roof of the entire Russian business in Sihanoukville,” the statement says. “The attackers knew from their sources that Lotus Tours is associated with KaZantip music festival.”

ELCA – which also serves Sergei Polonsky – maintained the attack was led by a man who claimed affiliation with Snake House Security, a company run by Polonsky’s rival Nikolai Doroshenko.
However, Nikolai’s son Ostap Doroshenko, a captain in the Sihanoukville police department, flatly rejected the accusation.

“I know for sure my family was not involved in this,” said Ostap Doroshenko, who is currently in Thailand.

Medical personnel inspect a stab wound on the torso of Bulgar Mihai at a clinic
Medical personnel inspect a stab wound on the torso of Bulgar Mihai at a clinic on Friday after he was attacked at a Sihanoukville casino. PHOTO SUPPLIED

He said the man identified by ELCA as the main suspect had never worked for Snake House.

“I only know him to say ‘hello’,” he said.

According to deputy provincial prosecutor Huoth Vichet, four foreigners and “a few” Cambodians have been summoned for questioning over the incident, which left 20-year-old Mihai Bulgar with a stab wound in his stomach.

Vichet said a search of the villa where the group of summonsed foreigners were staying – and are now being kept under guard – uncovered gas-powered pellet guns and plastic pellets but no live ammunition.

Suth Kim Seng, deputy chief of Commune 3, said five such guns had been found while security camera footage from the venue was being analysed.

He said Bulgar was recovering at a clinic under police guard for his own safety.

According to a Queenco employee who spoke on condition of anonymity, the incident happened about 8:30pm near the venue’s beachside bar between “two groups of Russians”.

“[The victims] had been in the bar for 10 minutes,” he said. “The other group, I don’t know how many, came in with a sword. People ran away because they had a gun.”

The employee said his colleagues heard a few gunshots while the assault, which he didn’t see, lasted about five minutes before the attackers fled and police arrived.

The annual kaZantip festival is relocating to Sihanoukville this year due to security concerns in its long-time location, Ukraine.

ELCA representative Ilya Rosenfeld – who also works as Polonsky’s spokesperson – said Polonsky has “no connection” with kaZantip, even though ELCA represents Polonsky as well.

The long-running dispute between Doroshenko and Polonsky, who were former business partners, revolves around Polonsky’s claims that Doroshenko “stole” property he claims ownership of in Cambodia.

KaZantip organisers did not respond to questions as of press time.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • App to connect farmers to millions

    The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has soft-launched a mobile app that connects farmers with potential buyers and gives them access to critical market information. The ministry’s Agriculture Marketing Office chief Meach Yady said the ‘CamAgriMarket’ app gives farmers a platform to showcase

  • Gov’t ups security to block virus

    With the new coronavirus claiming its 17th life in China, the Cambodian Ministry of Health on Thursday said it is taking measures to ensure the disease does not enter the Kingdom, including inspecting all flights from Wuhan City, the outbreak’s epicentre. Ministry secretary of