Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Battambang court calls ex-CNRP five



Battambang court calls ex-CNRP five

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former CNRP commune chief Sin Rozeth has been summoned for questioning for allegedly acting against the Supreme Court. hENG CHIVOAN

Battambang court calls ex-CNRP five

THE Battambang provincial court has summoned five local officials of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) to appear for questioning next Thursday over allegations they “violated the Supreme Court ruling” dissolving their party.

Chea Chiv, a former CNRP executive director in Battambang, told The Post on Tuesday that former commune chiefs Sin Rozeth, Mok Ra and Khuon Chamroeun had been summoned.

Dim Saroeun, a former CNRP member of the provincial council, and Kong Bunheang, an ex-provincial level official, had also been ordered to appear before the court.

The summonses, issued by Prosecutor Ky Bunnara last Wednesday and received by The Post on Tuesday, ordered the five to appear in court next Thursday for “questioning in the case of violating a Supreme Court ruling dated November 16, 2017”.

Bunnara declined to comment on Tuesday, requesting that reporters contact the court directly. Provincial court spokesperson Touch Sokpheakdey hung up his phone when called, while Battambang provincial police chief Uch Sokhon could not be reached.

Battambang town police chief Chhang Van Chhai told The Post on Tuesday that he could not make any further comment as he was only following court orders.

National Police spokesperson Chhay Kim Khoeun said on Tuesday that some of the five were involved in the “Clean Finger Campaign” that urged voters to boycott last year’s national election.

Some had also supported the now-defunct opposition Candlelight Party of CNRP co-founder Sam Rainsy.

He said the complaint may have not come from the police.

Reached on Tuesday, Rozeth said she would attend the court despite having no knowledge of the accusation.

“Since I left my position as O’Char commune chief over a year ago, what have I done to affect the country leading to this court summons? They can see my activities after the CNRP was dissolved – I opened a shop selling Cambodian noodles.

“They accused my shop of having connections with a rebel group and then no one came to it. I decided to sell things online . . . in order to support my family and pay back the bank,” she said.

‘I am shocked’

She said the court order was meant to discourage her and other former CNRP supporters. She did not know what she had done wrong as she had also never posted anything controversial on social media, only her opinions as a normal citizen.

“I am shocked after having seen the court summons which said I violated the Supreme Court’s order. I would like to ask what I did and how it violated the court ruling? I will go to court on the date set and answer questions."

“I have only myself and my mother in my family. My mother is shocked and worried. I am afraid of prison and chains, but I will still go to court in line with the summons,” she said.

Khuon Chamroeun, a former Chamkar Samrong commune chief, told The Post on Tuesday that he was also not aware of a reason behind his summons.

“I cannot recall what I have done wrong because I never left my house. I did not take part in any activities. They can check with the commune and district chiefs,” he said.

Chiv said he also was not aware of the reason behind the court action. However, he said it might be because of a video clip Rozeth and around seven others posted on Facebook in support of Sam Rainsy being made “acting president” of the CNRP in December.

He said if that were the case then more people would be summoned.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting