Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CPP set for landslide win in sub-national elections



CPP set for landslide win in sub-national elections

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Officials empty ballot boxes at a polling station in Yukunthor High School in Phnom Penh on Sunday. Heng Chivoan

CPP set for landslide win in sub-national elections

With the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) on course for a landslide victory in this year’s municipal, provincial and district council elections, preliminary results showed that the fledgling Khmer Will Party (KWP) founded last year received two votes despite having no eligible voters.

The two votes were received in Phnom Penh and Prey Veng province at the provincial and municipal level.

Sar Kheng, the Minister of Interior, said the smooth running of the elections showed Cambodians adhered to the principles of multi-party democracy.

KWP president Kong Monika said the votes his party received could not be considered a success.

However, he said the KWP had taken part in the elections to strengthen the party’s structure at the sub-national level in preparation for the 2022 commune and 2023 national elections.

On Monday, the National Election Committee released the preliminary results of Sunday’s municipal, provincial and district council elections.

Two parties without eligible voters still contested the elections. While the KWP won two votes, the Khmer Republican Party (KRP) received no support.

Preliminary results suggested that the Khmer National Unity Party (KNUP), although receiving good support in Siem Reap, Banteay Meanchey and Kampong Speu provinces, lost the support of 52 commune councillors.

KNUP spokesperson Run Meatra said his party had 227 councillors.

An NEC spokesperson said the KNUP received only 175 votes across the country. This implies the party lost the support of 52 commune councillors.

“This is normal in a democracy. There are people who are loyal and those who are not. It is usual for support to fluctuate. Other parties tried to persuade our councillors to support their party. Some parties lacked voters so they lobbied our councillors, and we did the same,” Meatra said.

According to the NEC’s preliminary results, KNUP received 36, 32 and 31 votes respectively in Siem Reap, Kampong Speu and Banteay Meanchey provinces.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Councillors participate in the municipal, provincial and district council elections on Sunday. Heng Chivoan

Meatra said this showed that councillors in these provinces remained loyal to party president Nhek Bun Chhay.

President of the Cambodian Youth Party (CYP) Pich Sros on Monday said his party had increased its votes to eight from its three commune councillors.

He said the increase in support reflected the elections taking place “smoothly and without any duress”.

Meanwhile, Sar Kheng on Monday thanked security forces and the authorities at all levels for their efforts in ensuring public order during Sunday’s polls.

He said the elections went ahead “successfully, safely and without violence”.

“All voters went to fulfil their obligations. In general, the election process and ballot counting went smoothly, without any obstacles and with no violence or threats, and the safety situation, in general, was good,” he wrote on Facebook on Monday.

Sar Kheng, who is also deputy prime minister, said the success of the elections reflected the contribution of all Cambodians and political parties in adhering to the principles of multi-party democracy and respecting social harmony.

NEC spokesperson Hang Puthea said the official election results were expected to be announced on June 8.

The NEC would divide the council positions among the parties that had won the elections. The newly elected council members would then take up their positions after 14 days.

He said the CPP had received the majority of votes in all capital and provincial districts, and its candidates would, therefore, become council chiefs. Councils did not have deputy chiefs, only members, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through