Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Eight CNRP officials summoned

Eight CNRP officials summoned

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More former CNRP officials received summonses from the Battambang provincial court. Supplied

Eight CNRP officials summoned

Another eight Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) officials received summonses from the Battambang provincial court over the weekend for allegedly violating the Supreme Court ruling that saw the party dissolved.

Suon Chamroeun, a former party official in Battambang province, said on Sunday that 20 CNRP members and supporters had now been called before the local court.

“[The court] has summoned them as they have others, which is something I don’t understand. These are normal people who did not commit any wrongdoing. But [the court] said they violated the Supreme Court’s ruling. I don’t understand this,” Chamroeun said.

Twelve former party members and supporters were called before the court last week.

According to Sor Chandeth, a former senator for the defunct Sam Rainsy Party, the latest eight to receive a summons included former Wat Kor commune chief Tan Samorn and former Sangke district councillors Ham Eab and Vy Voan, as well as Battambang town councillor Yuom Doung.

Former commune chiefs Sun Chamroeun and Poeuk Lom were also called before the court, as were ex-first deputy commune chiefs Saing Bunmao and Sok Sopheak.

Keu Bunnara, Battambang provincial court spokesperson and the prosecutor who issued the summons, could not be reached for comment.

According to summon letters received by The Post, they were issued on April 24 and 25, with those they were addressed to referred to as “suspects”.

The addressees were told to appear in court this, the next and the following week.

“As far as I know, they will go to clarify in court. They will want to know what wrong-doing they have committed. I think more people will receive summonses because we woke up this morning and another summons letter had been received in Ek Phnom district’s Samrong Khnong commune,” Chamroeun said.

Ou Chanrath, a former CNRP lawmaker, on Sunday said he disagreed with the court action.

“Firstly, I think the summonses have made the political situation tense. Secondly, they are a restriction on freedoms because those who were summoned were not banned from political activities."

“Therefore, the activities were the exercising of their rights and they should not be summoned like this,” he said.

He said the court should clearly outline what had led to the summonses, while authorities should announce the dos and don’ts for activists based on law and the constitution.

The Post has learned that it is only in Battambang province where the local court has issued summonses for the alleged violation of the Supreme Court ruling since the CNRP was dissolved in November 2017.

Chanrath said Battambang is a province where former local CNRP officials were relatively active.

“In past commune elections, Battambang [residents] supported the CNRP, so I think activists in Battambang have to be careful,” he said, adding that the summonses would serve as a warning to activists in other provinces.

However, Ministry of Justice spokesperson Chin Malin rejected claims the court action was meant as a threat.

“They should not be concerned if they have not committed any ill-intentioned actions that may have led to crimes. This is just a call for them to clarify certain information with authorities. It is not a threat,” Malin said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said