Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-CNRP officials file politics ban challenge

Ex-CNRP officials file politics ban challenge

Security officials block off Wat Botum Park ahead of the Supreme Court hearing on the dissolution of the opposition.
Security officials block off Wat Botum Park ahead of the Supreme Court hearing on the dissolution of the opposition. Sahiba Chawdhary

Ex-CNRP officials file politics ban challenge

Senior members of the now-dissolved opposition CNRP have filed a complaint to the Supreme Court asking that it reopen last month’s dissolution case to allow them to submit evidence, even though there is no legal recourse for appeal of a decision by the highest court.

In a near-universally condemned decision, the court ruled on November 16 to dissolve the country’s main opposition, the Cambodia National Rescue Party, and to ban 118 of its officials from politics for five years. “We are not satisfied with the verdict of the Supreme Court and we are filing a complaint to demand the Supreme Court reopen the hearing,” reads the new request, signed by ex-Deputy President Pol Ham, chief whip Son Chhay and others.

The focus of the filing is on the decision to ban officials, which was made “without having summonsed them”.

Ministry of Justice spokesman Chhin Malin said yesterday he expects the complaint to be dismissed. “In this case, they are the victims but not because of the Supreme Court verdict, but because their party and leaders violated the law,” Malin said, calling the verdict “irrefutable”.

According to legal expert Sok Sam Oeun, there is no channel by which a Supreme Court verdict can be appealed.

Prince Sisowath Thomico, a CNRP member who also signed the complaint, said the ruling was politically motivated, and that the filing was “to show the Cambodian people and the international community that the ruling was unlawful”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • Transport minister requests free trial of Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway

    The Ministry of Public Works and Transport held discussions with the company constructing the expressway from Phnom Penh to Preah Sihanouk province to allow drivers to test the road free of charge before an official toll is set. While inspecting the progress of its construction