Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-CNRP voice their concern at monitoring

Ex-CNRP voice their concern at monitoring

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police inspected the ex-CNRP activists gathering at Banteay Meanchey province on 23 May, 2019. Supplied

Ex-CNRP voice their concern at monitoring

Some 35 former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) members in Kampong Thom province expressed concern for their safety on Thursday after authorities watched over several of their gatherings and questioned them.

Thai Thim, a former CNRP provincial councillor, claimed that some former CNRP members met on Wednesday for a meal, with their meeting watched over by police.

“We met at four different locations in Baray district to eat Khmer noodles, but two of the four locations were interfered with by 20 members of the authorities. The group was afraid and went to eat Khmer noodles at my home,” Thim said.

He said after their meal, one of the group dared not leave as police were waiting outside his home.

Thong Vibol Sokhom, a former CNRP council member based in Kampong Thom province, told The Post on Thursday that in a separate incident on Sunday, the authorities had also watched and questioned a group of former CNRP members after they had gathered to eat at his house.

“If we cannot eat Khmer noodle or gather together in one place, our freedom is getting worse because we cannot walk anywhere or meet with people. Some of our people have been summoned. They are afraid to do things now,” he said.

Hak Monghout, Kampong Thom province’s Baray district governor, told The Post that no authorities had stopped people from eating noodles.

“We need to monitor any meeting that might harm people’s safety. No authorities have free time to watch over them [constantly] because people are entitled to their freedom."

“If they did not do anything illegal, they should not be worried. Sometimes, the monitoring was for prevention because this was a political campaigning period. They were questioned because of some concerns about their gathering,” he said.

Sok Rotha, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said Cambodian laws defend the rights of citizens, adding that if the accusations were true, it was a violation of the law.

“When we looked at the former CNRP members’ activities, they had only gathered to eat Khmer noodles only. It should not be watched as if it is an actual crime by itself."

“Therefore, the authorities should not continue to watch over them and should not summon them for questioning to clarify anything as it affects their human rights,” Rotha said.

Since April, Battambang provincial court and Kampong Thom police have in total summoned some 70 former CNRP activists and members to answer questions regarding an alleged violation of the Supreme Court ruling that dissolved the party and banned its activities.

On Sunday, The Post reported a further nine former CNRP members in Battambang province were summoned by the provincial court for questioning for allegedly violating the Supreme Court ruling.

Former CNRP member in Battambang province Suon Chamroeun said that the latest nine had been summoned by provincial court prosecutor Chheun Sophon to appear at court on Friday morning for “disrespecting the Supreme Court’s ruling”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials