Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - France, US condemn calls to shutter CCHR

France, US condemn calls to shutter CCHR

Traffic passes in front of the Cambodian Center for Human Rights’ headquarters on Monday in Phnom Penh.
Traffic passes in front of the Cambodian Center for Human Rights’ headquarters on Monday in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

France, US condemn calls to shutter CCHR

The French and American embassies yesterday condemned Prime Minister Hun Sen’s call for the closure of prominent NGO Cambodian Center for Human Rights over its purported links to “foreigners”.

According to a press release, the director for Asia and Oceania at the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, Thierry Mathou, visited Cambodia on Monday and yesterday to meet representatives of the government, opposition, and civil society.

“The Director urged the Cambodian government to once again become part of a democratic process and to allow the opposition, media and civil society to function without hindrance,” the press release reads. “He emphasized that the closing of the human rights NGO Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR), if it came to be, would be considered a particularly negative new development.”

Meanwhile, US Embassy spokesman David Josar said the US was “very concerned” at the calls to shutter CCHR. “This is part of a disturbing trend in Cambodia that has included limiting space for civil society, closing independent media outlets, and dissolving the main opposition party outright.”

Prak Sam Oeun, of the Ministry of Interior’s General Administration Department, would only say investigations into CCHR were ongoing. CCHR Executive Director Chak Sopheap yesterday said they had not yet heard from the Interior Ministry.

Additional reporting by Niem Chheng

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for