Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government: Military cooperation with the US remains strong



Government: Military cooperation with the US remains strong

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Soldiers stand at attention in front of tanks mounted with Cambodian flags during the opening ceremonies of this year’s Golden Dragon military exercises with China on Saturday. Heng Chivoan

Government: Military cooperation with the US remains strong

Cambodia still has military cooperation with the US, despite the former “temporarily postponing” the annual Angkor Sentinel joint exercises last year, Ministry of National Defence spokesman Chhum Socheat said.

He told The Post on Thursday that military ties with the US remain strong.

“The Ministry of National Defence retains bilateral and multilateral cooperation with the US. But because some required many members of the forces, we were unable to continue with the exercises,” Socheat said.

The ministry, he said, has no intention to suspend military cooperation with the US indefinitely.

“We had a meeting in the past and decided we would only postpone [military drills] for some time because we were busy with the election. We needed to mobilise our forces for some tasks,” he said.

Socheat stressed that Cambodia still has a wide range of areas where it cooperates with the US, apart from joint exercises.

“We still have some bilateral cooperation at present. While some are postponed, others are still ongoing. Nothing has changed,” he said.

Outgoing US Ambassador to Cambodia William A Heidt on Monday met with the National Defence Ministry Secretary of State, General Neang Phat.

The former raised concerns over a claim that there was a Chinese naval base under construction in Koh Kong province during the meeting. He called on the government to address the issue.

Socheat argued that the claim is intended to create suspicion between the two countries.

“There is nothing to inspect. If we trust each other, they wouldn’t need to inspect the site as it can be viewed from satellites,” he said.

On November 19, Prime Minister Hun Sen said he would explain to US Vice President Mike Pence that it was not necessary for Cambodia to violate its constitution as the Kingdom was not at war, and in any case had “enough forces to protect its independence”, and that he rejected “any ideology of competition” that could “split Cambodia”.

In March, Cambodia also “postponed indefinitely” a US Navy Mobile Construction Battalion humanitarian programme in which the “Seabees” work with their Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) counterparts on community service projects across the Kingdom.

According to Fresh News, the Royal Cambodia Armed Forces (RCAF) is currently preparing for next year’s edition of Golden Dragon exercises which will be held in Kampot province in March.

RCAF’s chief of staff General Eth Sarath on Wednesday led a group of soldiers to prepare the ground for the exercise.

Socheat said more pertaining to the exercise would be discussed on Friday at a meeting in his ministry.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants