Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry deplores RFA report on EBA



Ministry deplores RFA report on EBA

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Foreign Affairs Minister Prak Sokhonn. Post Pix

Ministry deplores RFA report on EBA

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Friday deplored as fake news a Radio Free Asia (RFA) report that it had received a copy of the European Commission’s assessment on the human rights situation in Cambodia as part of the Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement withdrawal procedure.

The EU launched the procedure for a possible withdrawal of EBA on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights” in Cambodia.

The commission completed its report last Tuesday after a three-month investigation that ended on August 12 and has given the government one month to respond.

It said a final decision whether to suspend the agreement will be made by February next year.

Last week, RFA claimed to have received a copy of the report from unidentified government officials.

The report, it said, showed that the government had failed to restore human rights and democracy and that the EU might decide to suspend Cambodia’s EBA status.

In a statement released on Friday, the ministry said RFA had the intention of spreading false information to mislead the public, especially garment workers. It accused the radio station of acting as a mouthpiece for a political faction.

“As per diplomatic practices, and the requirements of the EU Commission, the report is treated as a confidential document. The Royal Government of Cambodia regrets and deplores the fact that RFA has purposely provided false information with intent to deceive the public about the EU Commission’s report.

“Its reference to the terms of paragraphs presented as quotations that were supposedly taken from the said report is not accurate.

“Such false information creates unnecessary worries among hundreds of thousands of workers involved, misleads the public and tarnishes the reputation of the government officials whom RFA claimed to have leaked the document.

“Once again, RFA’s action provides proof that it is not a credible source of information, but simply a propaganda station at the service of a political faction,” said the statement.

The ministry continued that in compliance with the commission’s procedure, relevant ministries and institutions will conduct a thorough review of the report before making an official response within one month.

The government’s response, it said, will contain updates of recent developments in the areas of concern raised by the EU.

Political analyst Em Sovannara said RFA should either broadcast a correction if the report was false as stated by the government or provide evidence to deny claims that it took sides with an opposition faction.

“Journalists here or abroad should just make corrections if their report is false. In the case of RFA, it can provide proof that its report was balanced to avoid being accused of taking sides or putting the burden on the government,” he said.

The Post could not reach RFA for comment on Sunday.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said