Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry hosts European EBA fact-finders ahead of talks

Ministry hosts European EBA fact-finders ahead of talks

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An EU delegation holds a meeting with Interior Minister Sar Kheng in March 2019. Hong Menea

Ministry hosts European EBA fact-finders ahead of talks

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation hosted a preparatory meeting with a European fact-finding mission and representatives from various ministries on Tuesday after welcoming the delegation on Monday.

A team from the European Commission and the European External Action Service is in Cambodia for talks regarding the EU’s “Everything But Arms” (EBA) agreement.

A source said both sides met on Tuesday morning to confirm the European team’s schedule, with various meetings to be held with different ministries.

He said the government intended to meet the EU’s requirements regarding the EBA.

Such an important visit required the best organisation, he added.

Spokespersons for relevant ministries and NGOs confirmed the dates they would meet the European delegation.

The team would meet NGOs on Wednesday and with Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Prak Sokhonn and the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on Thursday, they said.

It was due to meet with the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training on Friday.

The delegation was to travel to Kampong Speu on Saturday and have wrap-up sessions on Sunday and Monday.

George Edgar, EU ambassador to Cambodia, declined to provide details of the delegation’s trip, saying he would summarise what had been discussed at the end of the visit.

The EU started the formal EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “serious human rights violations and a backsliding of democracy” in the Kingdom.

Soeung Sen Karuna, spokesperson for rights group Adhoc, said he was pessimistic regarding the withdrawal of Cambodia’s access to the EBA as so little had been done to meet the EU’s demands.

“The government now and again rejects the EU’s claims about human rights violations. Such denials are unlikely to bring positive benefits for the Kingdom. If the government does not accept the truth, we are concerned Cambodia will lose EBA access,” Sen Karuna said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The