Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC claims EU move to pull funding unfair

NEC claims EU move to pull funding unfair

Members of the National Election EU Ambassador George Edgar appears at an NEC event earlier this year. The NEC yesterday criticised the EU’s decision to pull funding following the dissolution of the CNRP.
Members of the National Election EU Ambassador George Edgar appears at an NEC event earlier this year. The NEC yesterday criticised the EU’s decision to pull funding following the dissolution of the CNRP. Hong Menea

NEC claims EU move to pull funding unfair

The National Election Committee’s newly minted press reaction team responded late on Wednesday to the European Union’s decision to cut funding for the 2018 election, claiming it was unfair to judge the elections before they took place.

The EU made the decision to pull its funding, with about $1 million outstanding, earlier this week after the Cambodia National Rescue Party was dissolved last month. “An electoral process from which the main opposition party has been arbitrarily excluded cannot be seen as legitimate,” reads an EU statement released on Tuesday.

The NEC dismissed this, however, saying that it was too early to come to any conclusion about the elections.

“What reasons can be used to evaluate the NEC that the 2018 election is not free and fair?” the statement asks, noting that the EU had previously praised the handling of commune elections held in June.

The new press reaction team of the nominally neutral body was specifically created to “attack back at negative” news, and is stacked with members loyal to the ruling party.

The NEC’s make-up has also changed after three CNRP-nominated members resigned in protest. One of their replacements has helped to run ruling party election campaigns in the past.

Sam Kuntheamy, director of election watchdog Nicfec, said civil society in general does not trust the NEC now that its composition has changed.

“The NEC members are from different political parties and civil society, but if you see the background, they worked in the government,” he said.

Furthermore, Kuntheamy said the NEC was less diligent during this year’s voter registration than they were last year, for example by failing to look into opposition party complaints, possibly because they expected it to be dissolved, he said.

George Edgar, EU ambassador to Cambodia, clarified that the decision to cut funding was based on the actions of the Cambodian government, not those of the NEC.

“As the Delegation’s press statement on 12 December made clear, the Commission’s decision to suspend assistance to the NEC was made in response to recent actions by the Cambodian authorities against the political opposition, in particular the dissolution of the CNRP,” he said via email yesterday.

“The Commission’s decision does not reflect on our experience of working with the NEC, which has been very positive. Nor does it represent any judgement on the performance of the NEC between now and the National Assembly [elections] next July.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.

  • H5N1 also poses deadly threat, ministry warns

    The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control (CDC) department has called on citizens to excise caution over H5N1 or bird flu that is spreading in the southern province of Vietnam. In a Facebook post, the department announced that it has made a series

  • Malaysia in turmoil

    Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has done it again. At the centre of two days of high drama and political manoeuvring, he has, wittingly or not, contributed to shaking Malaysia, and further causing its equities market to fall nearly three per cent. The drama