Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New online registration system to streamline voting documents



New online registration system to streamline voting documents

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
New system allows citizens to register for type 3 voter ID cards. NEC

New online registration system to streamline voting documents

The National Election Committee (NEC) has launched its Remote Voter Registration Exchange System to make it easier for citizens listed in the 2019 voter list using outdated Khmer identity card types 1 and 2 to update to type 3 which features a chip.

NEC spokesman Hang Puthea said on Monday the previous two identity cards are no longer valid to register to vote.

“In the past, the NEC accepted voter registration documents, such as Khmer identity card type 1 and 2, which are expired documents, according to a prakas issued by the Ministry of Interior,” he said.

Puthea said the change in voter registration documents was based on a law that required voters to use a Cambodian identity card when voting. The decision applies to the entire country.

Through the system, he said people in Cambodia and abroad do not need to go directly to an office to change their documents.

Citizens must have their correct names on their ID cards and they must match the names they used in 2019. Only then can they make changes online.

“The NEC aims to make the voter list better, more accurate and up-to-date,” he said.

The NEC announced the launch on August 27. It said the exchange system will be accessible on voterlist.nec.gov.kh starting August 28 to October 19 and voters who are using the same name they used in 2019 can apply to change their type of Khmer identity card during that timeframe.

Puthea said those who have different names or data than those they used last year must meet the voter registration team in their home commune. These visits can be made during voter registration from October 1-19.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese