Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rainsy charged for inciting obstruction to lockdown order

Rainsy charged for inciting obstruction to lockdown order

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former opposition leader Sam Rainsy. Facebook

Rainsy charged for inciting obstruction to lockdown order

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has charged former opposition leader Sam Rainsy with obstructing lockdown measures and inciting social chaos and issued a warrant for his arrest, according to Ministry of Justice spokesman Kim Santepheap.

The charges were levied against him after he called on people in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province to ignore all government lockdown orders and leave their homes and go about their daily business as normal.

Rainsy, the self-exiled former president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party, made the appeal via a video clip posted to his Facebook page on April 24. He dared the government to put an immediate end to the lockdown.

“Go out, brothers and sisters! In four to 10 days – if the measures are not relaxed – then just go out of your homes! Resume your businesses as normal in order to earn a living. If we stay at home, we will die. Don’t stay at home. Everyone, go out together,” he said.

Ministry of Justice spokesperson Kim Santepheap said during a press conference held on April 28 that such comments were incitements against the measures the government has put in place to break the transmission chain and was in violation of Cambodian law.

He said the municipal court on April 26 had already charged Rainsy with obstructing the lockdown measures and incitement to cause social chaos in accordance with the law on measures to contain Covid-19 and under articles 494 and 495 of the Criminal Code.

“The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has issued an arrest warrant for this criminal. I would like to call on all brothers and sisters to kindly support the government.

"Don’t believe these incitements from convicts who are addicted to offending people and continue to do so from afar without fear of any consequences,” Santepheap said.

He also called on the people to stay calm and continue to comply with the lockdown measures for the sake of peace, saying the lockdown will be lifted in the near future.

“Brothers and sisters, life will return to normal if you all comply fully with the measures. We hope to put an end to this outbreak soon,” he said.

Municipal court Judge Pich Vicheathor issued the arrest warrant for Rainsy and should he ever manage to return to Cambodia he will face immediate arrest and be put on trial for his alleged crimes.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy