Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sar Kheng denies Pchum Ben celebrations prevention order

Sar Kheng denies Pchum Ben celebrations prevention order

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng denies ordering provincial and municipal governors to instruct the police to prevent the public from attending the Pchum Ben festival celebrations. Hong Menea

Sar Kheng denies Pchum Ben celebrations prevention order

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has denied ordering provincial and municipal governors to instruct the police to prevent the public from celebrating the 15-day Pchum Ben festival, saying some anti-government individuals and media outlets had distorted his words.

On September 10, Sar Kheng issued a message to the governors of Phnom Penh and the provinces, saying: “Your Excellencies, all capital and provincial governors, please be informed that outlawed activists have instructed their companions to go to many pagodas on the occasion of the Pchum Ben festivities as a chance to meet and orchestrate plots.

“So now we are preparing officials to go to pagodas during the festivities and ensure that we bring the situation under control.”

In a post on his Facebook page on Tuesday, Sar Kheng, who is also deputy prime minister, said: “On September 10, I sent a message to the provincial governors instructing them to manage security and public order when citizens across the country celebrate Pchum Ben.

“Some anti-government people and media outlets have slanderously misrepresented my words by claiming that I intended to prevent citizens from celebrating this traditional Buddhist festival. This is malicious, and it is unacceptable to me.

“As the person in charge of public order for the nation, I have the right and legal obligation to give orders to maintain order at all events.

“At the same time, I have the right to direct subordinate officers to take strict legal measures against any attempt to create disorder, destroy peace or political stability or plot to overthrow the government.

“Last but not least, on the occasion of the Buddhist Pchum Ben festival, I would like to call on all our compatriots to join in keeping the peace and to build merit in their lives.”

Kin Phea, the director-general of the International Relations Institute at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, said Sar Kheng’s original message contained no indication that he intended to prevent people from celebrating the festival, and he had been misrepresented by certain media outlets and ill-intentioned people.

“I heard the voice of Samdech Krala Hoam Sar Kheng on Radio France Internationale. The message was meant to instruct the governors of the capital and the provinces to attentively protect public safety and watch out for any illegal gatherings planned to welcome Sam Rainsy back into the country.

“In the message, there was no indication that Samdech Krala Hoam [Sar Kheng] had the intention to prevent citizens from attending the Pchum Ben festivities.

“In our country, there are a lot of people, including some journalists and social media users, who take our leaders’ messages, twist their words and interpret them differently from the essence of their original ideas,” he said.

Soeng Sen Karuna, the senior investigator at rights group Adhoc, said it was the right of the media and human rights organisations to express their views and opinions on senior officials’ comments or actions.

“Above all, there is no violation of the law. For those of us who work in civil society, we look at things based on human rights and democracy.

“People evaluate the leadership’s messages as they are permitted to according to the right to freedom and national and international laws. It’s not about misinterpretation . . . this is what some people see,” he said.

He said Sar Kheng’s rebuttal was intended to dispel the accusations and address criticism that his message had violated the people’s rights and freedoms.

Sar Kheng’s recent directive came after Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party, urged the public to use “people power” to overthrow the government when he returns as announced on November 9.

In an email sent to the media on September 7, Rainsy claimed that his return to the Kingdom was the continuation of his 25-year struggle for democracy against an “authoritarian regime led by former Khmer Rouge members”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement