Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Security beefed up before Sokha trial



Security beefed up before Sokha trial

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kem Sokha is at his home after the Phnom Penh Municipal Court eased his bail conditions on November 10. Heng Chivoan

Security beefed up before Sokha trial

Security will be heightened across the Kingdom on Wednesday, especially in the capital and around the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, in preparation for Kem Sokha’s treason trial.

The former president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) was arrested in September 2017 and charged with conspiring with a foreign power.

He was detained for more than a year in a Tbong Khmum provincial prison before being released on court-supervised bail in September 2018.

Sokha’s court case will begin on Wednesday, and if found guilty, he faces up to 30 years in prison.

“We have prepared our security plans, not only in regards to where the trial is taking place, but also the whole of Phnom Penh. It is also aimed at maintaining security across the country against any incitement by ‘that’ group.

“We are taking action by first explaining to the public so they understand the legal facts of the case. The police are ready to keep public order and ease traffic jams. We are prepared for any incident that could happen,” said National Police spokesperson Chhay Kim Khoeun.

Phnom Penh municipal police chief Sar Thet said his officers would maintain security around the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to ensure the trial proceeds smoothly while easing traffic congestion.

He said Sokha’s supporters would not be allowed near the court as this could result in trial proceedings being interrupted.

“How can we allow them to go there and affect security and public order? We will decide whether or not to block the road when we see the actual situation. But we are ready for that,” Thet said.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court issued a statement on Thursday informing the public that the courtroom for Sokha’s hearing could only accommodate 30 people. The court called on interested members of the public to register to attend the trial.

“To ensure security, order and the smooth running of the hearing, members of the public who wish to attend should contact the secretariat of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court administration for registration from January 10-14,” it said.

Former CNRP lawmaker Ou Chanrath said those who wished to should be allowed near the court to show their support for Sokha as was allowed in a democratic and peaceful country.

“Supporters of any person on trial should not be pressured. They should be able to receive information and show their support outside the court. In other countries,people are allowed to look on and support those on trial.

“I think if they are worried about protests by former CNRP supporters, it is a kind of pressure. If there is a peaceful protest, there is nothing wrong with this because a democratic country should allow it.

“This is just a show of support, which is freedom of expression in a democratic country,” Chanrath said.

However, Ministry of Justice spokesperson Chin Malin said blocking Sokha’s supporters from getting near the court was not a restriction on their freedom, but rather it is merely to maintain security.

Chan Chen, one of Sokha’s four defence lawyers, said followers of the trial locally and internationally, should be well appraised of what he called an “extraordinary case”.

He said the court should find ways to allow public access to the trial.

Local rights group Licadho said seven witnesses – Hun Hoeuy, Koeu Loas, Khoeun Virath, Leng Vibol, Ma Chetra, Sar Sorn and Thav Kimsan – had been called to testify in the hearing on Wednesday.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesperson Kuch Kimlong could not be reached for confirmation.

Chetra said he would attend the hearing, but he said he did not know why he was seen as a witness in the case.

Sorn, a Borei Keila land activist and one of the witnesses, said she would also attend the hearing.

She said she was interviewed two years ago by an investigating judge who asked her about the “Black Monday” campaign calling for the release of human rights activists.

“The investigating judge asked me how many times I had met Kem Sokha. I said I hadn’t met him. He said he did not believe me and had documents to prove otherwise,” Sorn said.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year