During the 46th hearing of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court continued to question him regarding videos that purportedly showed a mass mobilisation of forces intended to stage mass demonstrations and topple the government in late 2013.
Sokha, former president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), denied any involvement.
Court spokesman Plang Sophal told The Post after the July 6 hearing that the court focused on questions about videos that showed plans were made for large protests after the National Election Committee (NEC) announced the official results of the general election.
However, Sokha’s co-defence lawyer Chan Chen told reporters that during the hearing, the prosecutor screened a video related to a demonstration near the Kbal Thnal bridge just off Monivong Blvd. During the hearing, Sokha told the court that he was not responsible for the demonstration.
Chen said that no progress had been made since the first hearing. The normal tension was present, but what he found remarkable was that the prosecution tried to get his client to take responsibility for the protest.
“In fact, my client has often said that any demonstrations that were held anywhere but Freedom Park were not the responsibility of him or the party,” he said.
Sokha was arrested and charged with conspiring with foreign power to overthrow the government following a video on social media showing a 2013 speech he made in Australia.
In the video, Sokha said he had met with well-known foreign professors, such as those in the US, who would help him find ways to change the leadership of Cambodia.