Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sokha urges drop of all charges



Sokha urges drop of all charges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kem Sokha left the Phnom Penh Municipal Court after his hearing in January. Heng Chivoan

Sokha urges drop of all charges

Former opposition leader Kem Sokha on Wednesday reiterated his call for the court to drop all charges against him. The call came as he marked three years since his arrest on a treason charge.

However, Ministry of Justice officials said the court can only make a decision based on facts, the law, witnesses and evidence.

In his Facebook post, Sokha said the ongoing case costs him freedom and rights in politics, and opportunities to serve the people and nation.

He said Cambodia needs to take positive steps rather than suspect negativity at a time when the world is facing the Covid-19 pandemic and economic crisis.

“Under these circumstances, Cambodians should have the spirit of national reconciliation and unity. I should also have full rights and freedom to be able to serve the nation and the Cambodian people.

“I can contribute to finding solutions to the most important challenges, including the livelihoods of Khmer citizens which have been affected by the global economic crisis,” he said.

Sokha claimed there is no specific and sufficient evidence against him and it is clear he has no intention of committing or supporting any acts that harm the national interest.

He said national and international leaders, as well as the judges, understand and recognise he has no intention of committing or supporting violence.

“Based on this consciousness and the spirit of national reconciliation and unity, I request the court to consider dropping the charges against me and grant me full freedom so that I can continue to serve the nation and Khmer people under the umbrella of the Constitution,” he said.

Ministry of Justice spokesman Chin Malin said Sokha has the right to ask the court to drop the charges, but the decision rests with the court which will rule on the case based on facts.

“This request is his right, but he has to go through further proceedings and show a solid foundation for the charges to be dropped. This keeps to legal procedure,” he said.

Sokha’s trial on “conspiracy with foreigners” has been temporarily suspended by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court since March due to Covid-19.

His lawyer Chan Chen said on Wednesday that so far nothing has changed with the court continuing to suspend the trial.

Court spokesman Kuch Kimlong could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Political analyst Em Sovannara said Sokha wanted to commemorate his arrest and gauge public opinion. He claimed that Sokha recently visited the provinces to assess the limitation on his freedom in politics.

“His Facebook post cannot prompt the court to drop the charges against him because it has no effect either on the court or the ruling party. The ruling party wants only weak opponents,” he said.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants